Posted by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch / Sunday, September 28, 2014
Sausage and Kale Lasagna Soup
An easy twist on classic lasagna and very easy to make. Sausage Kale and Lasagna Soup will quickly become a family favorite.
The weather turned nasty and cold this last week calling for boots, scarfs, hot coffee and soup.
I love this time of year for those reasons and the gorgeous colors of Autumn.
This is definitely one of my favorite soups because it's two of my favorite things in one.
Plus it has Sausage and Kale and the Kale makes it healthy, right? Right!
Plus L.J. devoured it without a complaint and the kid hates Lasagna for no other reason but the cheese but the soup makes it super easy to skip the cheese if it's not your thing!
When you have kids these simple options can be really important for your sanity and well being.
This makes a lot of soup but would be great frozen into single servings if you don't happen to have your own personal basketball team like us.
No matter how much food I make I'm lucky to have some form of leftovers the next day!
Maybe I'm weird but I love really good leftovers..
Anywho on to the recipe...
In a large pot heat 1 tablespoon Olive Oil over medium heat and add 1 whole Chopped Onion. Sauté until onion starts to soften and add 12 ounces Sliced Italian Sausage Links and cook until sausage is browned.
Stir in 2 Diced Carrots, 10 Sliced Mushrooms, 5 Cloves Minced Garlic, 1 whole Diced Bell Pepper,
2 cups Diced Zucchini, 1 teaspoon Granulated Garlic and 2 tablespoons Italian Seasoning.
Add 28 ounces Diced Tomatoes, 28 ounces Pureed Tomatoes, 8 cups Chicken Stock, 1 teaspoon Sea Salt and 10 ounces Campanelle Pasta or Broken Lasagna Noodles.
Bring to a simmer cover and cook over low heat for 5 minutes.
Stir in 1/2 cup Fresh Chopped Basil.
And 8 ounces Chopped Kale.
Stir until well combined and cook an additional 5-8 minutes until pasta is tender and kale is cooked.
Taste soup and add additional salt and pepper to taste.
In a medium sized bowl stir together 8 ounces Ricotta Cheese, 1/3 cup Freshly Grated Parmesan, 1 cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese and 1/4 cup Chopped Fresh Basil until well combined.
Serve ricotta cheese mixture on the side so everyone can add desired amount to soup and serve with fresh crusty bread for dipping.
Sausage and Kale Lasagna Soup
Recipe by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
Sausage and Kale Lasagna Soup is the best of two comfort food favorites and less fuss then traditional lasagna.Prep time: PT20M
Cook time: PT25M
Total time: PT45M
Yield: 10 Servings
- 12 ounces Fresh Italian Sausage Links, Sliced
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 whole Medium Sized Onion, Diced
- 2 whole Carrots, Diced
- 10 whole Mushrooms, Sliced
- 5 cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1 whole Bell Pepper, Seeded and Diced
- 2 cups Zucchini, Diced
- 1 teaspoon Granulated Garlic
- 2 tablespoons Italian Seasoning
- 28 ounces Diced Tomatoes Plus Juice (Canned)
- 28 ounces Pureed Tomatoes (Canned)
- 8 cups Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt Or To Taste
- 10 ounces Uncooked Campanelle Pasta Or Broken Lasagna Noodles
- 3/4 cup Fresh Basil, Chopped
- 8 ounces Kale, Chopped and Stems Removed
- 8 ounces Ricotta Cheese
- 1/3 cup Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 cup Mozzarella Cheese, Grated
- In a large pot add olive oil and heat over medium heat until hot. Add onion and saute until softened. Add sausage and cook until lightly browned.
- Add carrots, mushrooms, garlic, bell pepper, zucchini, granulated garlic and Italian seasoning. Stir until combined.
- Add diced and pureed tomatoes, chicken stock, salt and pasta. Stir until well combined and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook 5 minutes.
- Stir in 1/2 cup basil and kale. Return to a simmer and cook an additional 5-8 minutes until pasta is al dente and kale is tender. Taste soup and add additional salt and pepper to taste.
- In a medium sized bowl comine ricotta cheese, parmesan, mozzarella and remaining 1/4 cup freshly chopped basil.
- Serve soup with a scoop of ricotta cheese mixture in the middle.