Posted by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch / Tuesday, January 13, 2015
Refried Black Beans From Scratch
An easy to follow step by step recipe with photos for Homemade Refried Black Beans From Scratch.
I probably should have smothered these Refried Black Beans in cheese and cilantro or something because they aren't the most photogenic thing but they taste amazing.
We enjoyed these with the Chicken Enchiladas that were smothered in cheesy goodness that I shared on Sunday and I mean who doesn't love refried beans plus these blow the canned stuff out of the water.
If you aren't feeding an army you could easily freeze the leftovers for later or use to make an out of this world cheesy bean dip!
Plus if your feeding a crowd these are much more economical then buying canned beans since dried beans are so inexpensive.
These are actually really easy to make and totally worth the time.
I hope you love them as much as we do!
First off soak one pound of black beans overnight in water. (Sorry I forgot a picture)
Drain Beans and set aside.
In a large pot add 1 tablespoon Olive Oil and 1 Diced Onion.
Saute until onion starts to caramelize.
Add 1-2 whole Diced Jalapenos With Seeds Removed and 3 cloves Minced Garlic.
Cook until garlic is softened.
Add drained Black Beans, 1 teaspoon Cumin, 1 teaspoon Granulated Garlic, 2 teaspoons Chili Powder and 7 cups Water. Mix until well combined.
Bring mixture to a simmer, reduce heat to low and cover.
Cook for 3-4 hours over low heat until beans are tender and water has reduce.
Heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat in a large pan and add beans.
Add 1 teaspoon Salt and Pepper or to taste.
Use a potato masher to smash beans to desired consistency.
I like some texture still in my beans.
Cook until thickened and serve.
Refried Black Beans
Recipe by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
Easy to follow step by step instructions for Homemade Refried Black Beans from scratch.Prep time: PT15M
Cook time: PT4H15M
Total time: PT16H30M
Yield: 12 Servings
- 1 pound Dried Black Beans
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 whole Onion, Diced
- 1-2 whole Jalapeno Peppers, Seeds Removed and Diced
- 3 cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Granulated Garlic
- 2 teaspoons Chili Powder
- 7 cups Water
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1 teaspoon Salt Or To Taste
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- Soak black beans overnight in a large bowl covered with water about 3 inches above beans.
- Drain beans and set aside.
- In a large pot heat olive oil over medium-high heat and add onion. Saute until onion starts to caramelize. Add jalapeno and garlic, cook until garlic is softened.
- Stir in soaked black beans, cumin, granulated garlic, chili powder and water. Stir well and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and cook for 3-4 hours until beans are tender and liquid has reduced.
- In a large pan heat butter over medium-high heat and add cooked beans, salt and pepper. Use a potato masher and smash beans to desired consistency. Cook until remaining liquid has evaporated.