I've been dreaming of Strawberry Shortcake all winter, so when I finally found really ripe amazing smelling strawberries at the market I decided to make this Strawberry Shortcake Poke Cake because I wasn't in the mood to make traditional biscuits and roll them out.
I made a moist and light yellow lemon buttermilk cake for the base because I knew it would be the perfect flavor combo.
Then filled it with fresh strawberry puree, diced strawberries and smothered it in freshly whipped cream.
My Dad who never eats dessert decided to have a slice and said it was the best ever.
He even wanted to have a piece for breakfast the next morning and let me tell you that is way out of his normal.
I don't think I've ever seen him eat sweets for breakfast, the man even drinks his morning coffee black!
So I know if he loves it as much as the rest of the family you'll love it too!
To make the cake layer in a large mixing bowl cream together 3/4 cup Butter, 1 2/3 cup Sugar and 1 teaspoon Lemon Zest until mixture is light and fluffy.
Add 3 whole Eggs, 1 at a time beating well between each addition.
Add 1 tablespoon Vanilla Extract, 2 teaspoons Baking Powder, 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda and 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt. Mix until well combined.
Add 2 1/4 cups All-Purpose or Whole Wheat Pastry Flour and 1 1/2 cups Buttermilk.
Mix until combined being careful not to over mix, scrape sides of bowl as needed.
Butter a 9"x13" pan and line with parchment paper and butter parchment paper.
Pour cake batter into prepared pan.
Bake in a 350 degree preheated oven for 35-40 minutes until a tooth pick inserted into the center of cake comes out clean.
Allow cake to cool for 20 minutes and then use a 1/4" round handle of a wooden spoon to poke holes all over the cake.
To make the strawberry filling in a small saucepan combine 1/3 cup Water and 1 package Unflavored Gelatin. Heat over low heat until gelatin dissolves and becomes clear.
Place 2 cups Diced Strawberries in blender. Add Gelatin mixture, 3 tablespoons Sugar, Juice of 1/2 a Lemon and puree until smooth.
Taste puree and add additional sugar if needed.
Stir in 2 cups Diced Strawberries into strawberry puree.
Spread strawberry mixture evenly over cake, work into holes and gentle shake pan to work strawberry mixture into holes.
Refrigerate for 2 hours or until ready to serve.
Whip 1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream, 1 tablespoons Sugar and 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract.
Taste whipping cream and add additional sugar to taste.
Spread Whipped Cream evenly over cake.
Garnish with a whole strawberry if desired when serving.
I promise you this will knock your socks off!
Strawberry Shortcake Poke Cake
A light lemon buttermilk yellow cake filled with pureed and chopped strawberries then covered in whip cream.Prep time: PT25M
Cook time: PT40M
Total time: PT3H5M
Yield: 12 Slices
- 3/4 cup Cold Butter Plus Soft Butter For Greasing Pan
- 1 2/3 cup Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Zest
- 3 whole Eggs
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 2 1/4 cup All-Purpose or Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1 1/2 cups Buttermilk
- 1/3 cup Water
- 1 packet Unflavored Gelatin
- 4 cups Strawberries, Finely Chopped
- 3 tablespoons Sugar Or To Taste
- 1/2 whole Lemon, Juiced
- 1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- For Serving: Additional Whole Strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9"x13" pan and line with parchment paper. Butter parchment paper well, set aside.
- Cream together butter, sugar and lemon zest.
- Beat in eggs one at a time, scraping sides of bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add 1 tablespoon vanilla, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix until well combined.
- Add flour and buttermilk. Stir until just combined.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 35-40 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of cake comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool for 20 minutes and then use 1/4 inch wooden cooking handle to poke holes all over cake.
- In a small pan combine water and unflavored gelatin. Cook over low heat until clear.
- In a blender combined 2 cups chopped strawberries, lemon juice, 3 tablespoons sugar and cooked gelatin. Puree until smooth.
- Stir in remaining 2 cups chopped strawberries into the pureed berries and spread over the top of cake pushing strawberry mixture into holes.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours or until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve make whip cream. Beat heavy whipping cream, 1 tablespoon sugar and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract until soft peaks form. Taste whipping cream and add additional sugar if desired.
- Spread whip cream over the top of strawberries.
- Garnish cake slices with whole strawberries if desired.
Things that you might need or want to make this recipe: