The iconic Grilled Cheese Sandwich taken to a whole new level with this Loaded Sharp Cheddar and Black Forest Ham Grilled Cheese Sandwich.
Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.
This week Sunday Supper has teamed up with Gallo Family Vineyards to celebrate National Grilled Cheese Month because who can pass on perfectly toasted bread filled with gooey melted cheesy goodness.
They are the coziest of comfort foods that evokes nostalgic early childhood memories from the smell of the bread browning in the butter to the taste of the strings of melted cheesy goodness.
To help celebrate I decided to share our favorite Loaded Sharp Cheddar and Black Forest Ham Grilled Cheese Sandwich.
We just happened to take a really good thing and give it one heck of an upgrade.
It takes the iconic American Grilled Cheese Sandwich to a whole new level and just happens to be the most requested sandwich in our house.
Colt's been making this sandwich for the last few years as a lunch, quick weeknight staple or late night snack.
It's filling enough alone, served with homemade fries or perfect with a bowl tomato soup.
You just can't go wrong however you serve it.
Bacon's become a newer addition to our sandwich because everything's better with bacon and is totally optional but it does add an incredible smokiness that can't be beat.
We also started using a little mashed avocado instead of mayo for health reasons and we prefer the flavor.
If onions or pepperoncini aren't your thing just leave them out!
The great thing about this sandwich is it can be customized however you like.
You can never go wrong with a Loaded Grilled Cheese Sandwich.
To make the sandwiches you'll need: Sliced Sourdough Bread, Sliced Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Black Forest Ham, Cooked Bacon, Dijon Mustard, Mashed Avocado, Sliced Tomatoes, Thinly Sliced Onion, Cut Pepperoncinis and a hearty Lettuce like Romaine.
On this occasion Colt had found a White Sharp Cheddar with Habanero we added for a little kick.
We also will sometimes use pickled jalapenos instead of the pepperoncinis.
To make the sandwich smear one side of the bread with mashed avocado or mayonnaise and the other half with dijon mustard.
On both sides of the bread add Sliced Cheddar to cover bread completely.
Then on one side of the bread top with Tomatoes and Bacon.
On the other side top with Black Forest Ham, Sliced Onion and Pepperoncinis.
To make these I like using my electric grill but a heavy duty pan works well.
If using an electric grill heat to 375 degrees for stovetop use medium heat, you might have to adjust the heat to be hot enough to crisp the bread but not burn it and melt the cheese.
Melt butter over hot grill.
Place each half on hot grill and cook until cheese is melted and bread is golden brown.
Adjust temperature as needed to prevent burning.
Add lettuce to one side of bread and flip other half of sandwich carefully on top.
Remove from griddle and slice in half if desired.
On this particular night we enjoyed our Loaded Sharp Cheddar and Black Forest Ham Grilled Cheese Sandwiches with a chilled glass of Gallo Family Vineyards Pinot Grigio with it's bright citrus notes it complements richness of the cheese for a red option we usually enjoy a Gallo Family Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon either pair perfectly with the richness of this sandwich.
You can find links to all the Gallo Family Vineyards Grilled Cheese Recipes Click Here!
Loaded Sharp Cheddar and Black Forest Ham Grilled Cheese Sandwich #SundaySupper
The iconic Grilled Cheese Sandwich taken to a whole new level with this Loaded Sharp Cheddar and Black Forest Ham Grilled Cheese Sandwich.Prep time: PT8M
Cook time: PT10M
Total time: PT18M
Yield: 1 Sandwich
- 2 Slices Sourdough Bread
- 6 Slices Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 2 Slices Black Forest Ham
- 2 Slices Crisp Cooked Bacon
- Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 whole Avocado, Mashed
- 2 slices Tomato
- 1-2 slices Red Onion, Thinly Sliced (Optional)
- 1 leaf Romaine Lettuce
- Butter For Greasing Griddle
- On one slice of bread spread dijon mustard and on the other side spread mashed avocado.
- On one side of bread layer cheese until covered, tomatoes and bacon. On the other side of bread layer cheese until bread is covered, black forest ham, red onion and Pepperoncinis.
- Heat electric griddle to around 375 degrees or a heavy duty pan over medium heat until hot. Grease hot griddle or pan well with butter until melted.
- Place each slice of bread plain side down into butter and cook until cheese is melted and bread is golden brown. Adjust temperature as needed to prevent burning.
- Once bread is brown and cheese is melted add lettuce to one side of sandwich. Flip other side of sandwich on top.
- Remove from grill and slice in half if desired.
For more information on Gallo Family Vineyard Wines and menu pairing ideas please visit their website http://www.gallofamily.com/. For more information of store locations and purchase please click here. You can connect with The Gallo Family Of Wines on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.
Make sure to read all the other amazing Grilled Cheese Recipes celebrating National Grilled Cheese Month!
- Bacon Inverted Grilled Cheese by Brunch with Joy
- BBQ Pulled Pork and Smoked Gouda Grilled Cheese by Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen
- Brie, Raspberry and Honey Grilled Cheese by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Chicken Pesto Grilled Cheese by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Egg Prosciutto Grilled Cheese by Magnolia Days
- French Onion Grilled Cheese by The Redhead Baker
- Garlicky Anaheim Pepper Grilled Cheese by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Gluten Free Kale Grilled Cheese by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Grilled Cheese with Spinach and Roasted Red Peppers by Ruffles & Truffles
- Grilled Havarti with Onion Jam by Nosh My Way
- Grilled Gruyère on Rye with Crisped Sage and Pink Lady Slices by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Loaded Sharp Cheddar and Black Forest Ham Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Longaniza Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Peaceful Cooking
- Philly Cheesesteak Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Family Foodie
- Pizza Grilled Cheese by Alida's Kitchen
- Roasted Cauliflower, Ham and Brie Grilled Cheese by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Roasted Tomato Caprese Grilled Cheese by One Sweet Mess
- Spinach Artichoke Grilled Cheese by Life Tastes Good
- Tomato Bacon Jam Grilled Cheese by Feed Me, Seymour
- Tomato, Prosciutto and Gruyère Grilled Cheese by Casa de Crews
- Twenty Ways to Make Grilled Cheese plus Wine Pairings on the Sunday Supper Movement website