I made Tuscan Meatball Vegetable Bean Soup last weekend because I knew fall was on the way and I could pretty much live off of soup year round! It's chock-full of goodness with the hearty little meatballs, lots of veggies, and creamy bean broth. Tuscan Meatball Vegetable Bean Soup is based off my Tuscan Ham and Bean Soup recipe which is another must make!
You really can't go wrong with either of these! I promise you'll love them both!
Soak 2 pound Great Northern Beans Overnight in a large bowl of water. Drain beans well.
To make the meatballs combine: 3/4 pound Lean Ground Beef, 3/4 pound Ground Pork, 1/2 whole Finely Diced Onion, 1 whole Egg, 2/3 cup Parmesan Cheese, 1/3 cup Finely Minced Parsley, 5 cloves Minced Garlic, 1 teaspoon Salt, 1 teaspoon Black Pepper, and 2 teaspoons Dijon Mustard. Mix until well combined.
Scoop Meatballs by heaping tablespoon and roll into balls. Place on cookie sheet, cover, and refrigerate until ready to use.
In a large soup pot add 2 tablespoons Olive Oil and 1 whole Diced Onion, cook over medium-high heat until onion starts to caramelize.
Add 4 whole Diced Carrots, 4 stalks Diced Celery, 4 cloves Minced Garlic, 2 teaspoons Fresh or Dried Rosemary, 2 teaspoons Fresh or Dried Oregano, 1 teaspoon Fresh or Dried Thyme. Stir until garlic becomes fragrant.
Stir in Soaked Beans, 4 cups Chicken Stock, 8 cups Water, and 1 teaspoon Granulated Garlic. Cover and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and cook for 3 hours or until beans are tender..
Stir soup and carefully drop in Meatballs.
Stir in 1 whole Diced Zucchini and 1 whole Diced Yellow Squash. Cover and cook an additional hour.
Taste soup and salt to taste. Stir in 3 cup Chopped Kale, 3 tablespoons Fresh Basil, and a handful of parsley. Cook an additional 3-5 minutes until kale is tender.
Garnish with Parmesan Cheese if desired and enjoy!
Tuscan Meatball Vegetable Bean Soup is a favorite on a cool, crisp, fall day! I know you'll love it too!
Tuscan Meatball Vegetable Bean Soup
Tuscan Meatball Vegetable Bean Soup is the perfect bowl of comfort. A healthy, hearty favorite!Prep time: PT20M
Cook time: PT4H0M
Total time: PT4H20M
Yield: 10 Servings
- 2 pounds Dry Great Northern Beans, Soaked Overnight
- 3/4 pound Lean Ground Beef
- 3/4 pound Ground Pork or Italian Sausage
- 1/2 whole Onion, Finely Minced
- 1 whole Egg
- 2/3 cup Parmesan Cheese, Grated
- 1/3 cup Parsley, Finely Minced
- 5 cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2 teaspoons Dijon Mustard
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 whole Onion, Diced
- 4 whole Carrots, Diced
- 4 whole Celery, Diced
- 4 cloves Garlic, Minced
- 2 teaspoons Rosemary
- 2 teaspoons Oregano
- 1 teaspoons Thyme
- 4 cups Chicken Stock
- 8 cups Water
- 1 teaspoon Granulated Garlic
- 1 whole Zucchini, Diced
- 1 whole Yellow Squash, Diced
- 3 cups Kale, Chopped
- Salt to taste
- 3 tablespoons Fresh Basil, Chopped
- 1 handful Parsley, Chopped
- For Serving: Parmesan Cheese
- Mix all ingredients for meatballs together until well combined. Scoop a heaping tablespoon of meatball mixture and form into a ball. Place on cookie sheet and cover. Store in refrigerator until ready to use.
- In a large soup pot add olive oil and onion over medium-high heat, cook until onion starts to caramelize. Stir in carrots, celery, garlic, rosemary, oregano, and thyme. Cook until garlic becomes fragrant. Stir in soaked beans, chicken stock, water, and granulated garlic. Cover, bring to a simmer, and reduce heat to low. Cook for 3 hours or until beans are tender.
- Stir soup and carefully add meatballs, zucchini, and squash. Cover and cook an additional hour.
- Taste soup and salt to taste.
- Stir in kale, basil, and parsley. Cook an additional 3-5 minutes until kale is tender.
- Garnish with additional parmesan cheese if desired.