Posted by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch / Saturday, June 23, 2012
Banana Cream Pie..Oh My!
This is another husband wooing recipe. Guaranteed to get him every time! It is so delicious! I could go on all day salivating at my picture but sadly enough.. The pie is long gone...tears..So we will move on and I will share my top secret, guaranteed to make my husband happy, banana cream pie recipe. Most of the time I will simmer a vanilla bean in the milk before I add the eggs. I then remove the vanilla bean and scrape the seeds and place them back into the pudding mixture instead of using vanilla extract. But I will say it's great either way and the extract is less work. Just make sure it is extract and not flavor (yuck).
1 Uncooked pie crust. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Poke holes with a fork all over the bottom and around the sides.
Line pie with tin foil, press around the edges, bottom and up next to the crimped crust.
Place in preheated oven and bake for approximately 10 minutes. I lift the foil around the 10 minute mark and know it's time to remove the foil if the crust looks set and not like dough.
It's hard to tell but it will look like this. Cook another 6-10 minutes watching carefully after 6 minutes not to burn. Sometime it takes even a bit longer to get a nice golden brown color on the crust.
Mix 2/3 cup sugar, 1/2 cup flour and a pinch of salt into a medium/large sauce pan.
Slowly whisk or stir in 3 cups milk. Drizzling while you stir over medium heat. Of course I was trying to take a picture while drizzling so I have more milk then I would prefer pooled but you get the idea.
Continue to cook over medium heat, stirring continually, making sure to scrape around the edges well. Approximately 5 minutes.
Whisk 4 eggs. I know it looks like more but one of my eggs was a twin yolk this day. So I still count it as 4 since the 2 yolks where smaller then normal.
Now the milk mixture is thickened and will look like this. Thick and bubbly. Remove from heat.
Slowly stir in 1/2 cup at a time milk mixture into the egg yolks, until you have added 2 cups total. Stir continually to keep from scrambling.
Place milk mixture back over medium heat stirring continually while you add the egg mixture back into the pot. Cook just until it starts to bubble about 2 minutes.
Add 2 teaspoons vanilla and 2 tablespoons butter. Stir well until fully incorporated.
Place enough of the pudding mixture into the bottom of the pie crust to coat.
Cover with banana's and repeat ending with pudding. I usually make 2 layers of banana's and use 4 medium banana's. Now I think I'm going banana's...lol
Finished Pie. Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours. Top with fresh whipped cream and banana's when serving. Enjoy!
Banana Cream Pie
Recipe by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
Our family favorite Banana Cream Pie!Prep time: PT20M
Cook time: PT25M
Total time: PT3H45M
Yield: 10 Servings
- 1 whole 9" Uncooked Pie Crust
- 2/3 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 pinch Salt
- 3 cups Milk
- 4 whole Egg Yolks
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 4 whole Medium/Large Bananas Sliced
- 2 cups Heavy Whipping Cream
- 5 tablespoons Powdered Sugar or To Taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Vanilla
- Preheat oven to 450 degree's.
- For Crust: Shape pie dough and place into a 9" pie pan. Crimp edge and use a fork to prick the bottom and sides of the pie crust. Line with tin foil. Pressing against the bottom and sides of the crust, all the way to the crimp edge. Do not cover edge. Roll any excess foil in wards, to leave edge exposed. Bake for approximately 10 minutes until the crust is set and not like dough. Remove foil and bake another 6-10 minutes until crust is golden brown watch carefully. Sometimes it takes an extra few minutes just watch minute by minute after 6 minutes.
- Banana Cream Pie filling: Mix sugar,flour and a pinch of salt into a medium/large sauce pan and stir until lump free. Slowly drizzle in the milk while stirring over medium heat. Cook over medium heat,stirring continually, until mixture thickens and is bubbly. Make sure to stir around edges well. About 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Whisk egg yolks. Take 1/2 cup milk mixture and whisk continually while adding to the egg yolks. Continue to add milk mixture until a total of 2 cups milk mixture has been added. Add egg mixture back into the milk mixture and return to medium heat stirring continually until mixture starts to bubble. About 2 minutes and remove from heat.
- Place enough of the pudding mixture into the bottom of the pie crust to cover the bottom. Cover with 2 banana's and repeat. Ending with pudding over the top. Cover and refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight.
- Whip cream: Place heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar and vanilla into mixing bowl and mix over medium-high until mixture becomes soft and billowy. Make sure not to over mix or you will have butter. Top pie with whipping cream when serving.