Super easy and yummy German Chocolate cake frosting! I love this so much I skip adding chocolate frosting to the outside and frost with this! If you missed the post yesterday please see super moist chocolate cake! This is a treat I haven't made this in over a year for my hubby so he was quite happy to see this for dessert, also my spoiled kids demanded I do something other then make homemade carmel corn, gheesh. I really do believe they have been a bit food spoiled, don't you? This was the middle child who also told me when we where going to have a pizza night I was being lazy...This didn't go over so well as you can imagine! Next time I will introduce him to something out of a card board box and see how he likes them apples!
Add sugar, half and half and egg yolk to the sauce pan.
Cut up butter into chunks and whisk egg yolk well.
Cook over medium heat until thick and bubbly. Continue to stir and cook another 4 minutes over low heat.
Remove from heat and add vanilla.
Add chopped nuts and coconut. Stir well.
Let cool for 10 minutes then place in the refrigerator until thick enough to spread about 35 minutes to an hour. Frost and enjoy!
German Chcolate Cake Frosting
German Chocolate Cake Frosting recipe from scratch. So easy and delicious.Prep time: PT5M
Cook time: PT15M
Total time: PT1H
Yield: Frosting for 1 8" Layer Cake
- 1 1/3 cup Sugar
- 1 1/3 cups Half and Half
- 3 whole Egg Yolks
- 1/2 cup Butter, Cut up into chunks
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 2 cups Sweetened Flaked Coconut
- 1 cup Walnuts or Pecans, Chopped
- Mix sugar, half and half, egg yolk and butter in a heavy duty saucepan until well incorporated. Stir over medium heat until mixture is thick and bubbly. Continue to cook another four minutes lowering the heat to low. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla, coconut and nuts.
- Allow to cool for about 10 minutes and then place in the refrigerator for about 35 minutes. Check at the 35 minute mark and see if frosting is spreadable. If still too thin continue to refrigerate until desired thickness is reached.