I love broccoli cheddar soup and so do the kids. Could there be anything better then broccoli and cheese in a soup? This is a fabulous meal when you have an over abundance of broccoli in the yard and start running out of creative uses for it! Creamy, cheesy, deliciousness...How you warm my heart and make me happy..
I have used cornstarch in this recipe over traditional flour for all my gluten free friends, the kids couldn't seem to tell the difference. I buy cornstarch over in the organic bulk section of the store and look for one that isn't genetically modified and organic. If you have concerns about cornstarch make sure to read the ingredient label to make sure it's gluten free..
Melt butter and add onion, carrots and garlic. Saute until onion start to caramelize.
Chop off broccoli florets, cut small and set aside. Remove skin from broccoli stalks and dice fine.
Add broccoli stalk to the onions and carrots.
Stir in 2 cups of chicken stock, garlic powder, salt, pepper and simmer over low until broccoli stalks are cooked through.
In a small bowl add cornstarch and mix with a tablespoon of chicken stock, stir until incorporated. Continue to repeat stirring in 1 tablespoon at a time chicken stock until mixture is smooth and lump free. A total of 2 cups chicken stock will be added.
The mixture will look like this.
Stir in cornstarch mixture while mixture simmers over low heat. Bring to a simmer and cook until thickened.
Puree soup in small batches in a blender. (This step is optional, but adds a nice velvety texture.)
If you add too much soup to the blender while hot you might have a mess so work in about 4-5 batches. Return to pot and bring to a simmer.
Finally chop broccoli florets.
Add broccoli florets into the soup base.
Add milk and cheddar cheese to the soup. Stir over low heat until cheddar is melted.
Serve with a crusty gluten free bread.
Broccoli Cheddar Cheese Soup Gluten Free
Gluten Free Broccoli Cheddar Cheese Soup recipe with step by step instructions with photos.Prep time: PT10M
Cook time: PT30M
Total time: PT40M
Yield: 6 Servings
Calories per serving: 376Ingredients
Fat per serving: 25
Fat per serving: 25
- 3 tablespoons Butter
- 1/2 whole Onion, Chopped Fine
- 3 whole Carrots, Chopped Fine
- 3 cloves Garlic, Minced
- 2 heads Broccoli,
- 4 cups Chicken Stock
- 1 teaspoon Granulated Garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt Or To Taste
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- 3 tablespoons Cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups Milk
- 3 cups Sharp Cheddar, Grated
- For broccoli remove florets from the stems, chop small and set aside. Remove skin off the stems and chop stems fine.
- In a large stock pot add butter and melt over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrots and garlic. Saute until onions start to caramelize. Add the broccoli stems. Add 2 cups chicken stock,granulated garlic, sea salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to low.
- In a small bowl add cornstarch and stir in remaining 2 cups chicken stock 1 tablespoon at a time until each tablespoon is incorporated and all lumps are removed. Add cornstarch/stock mixture to the simmering soup on the stove while stirring. Cook until mixture starts to thicken.
- Remove from heat and puree soup in a blender in 4-5 small batches. (If adding to much hot soup to the blender you might have a mess, make sure to work in small batches.) Return to a simmer over low heat. Add broccoli florets and cook until tender.
- Stir in milk. Add cheese and stir over low heat until melted.
- Serve soup with a nice crusty bread like sourdough and enjoy.