Posted by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch / Friday, July 13, 2012
Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes, Potatoes Au Gratin call them what you will but they are simply heaven on a fork. The leftovers are always fought over at our dinner table. I mean who doesn't like creamy cheesy potatoes? Pass the fork and move out of the way! I reduced the calories in the potatoes a bit by using chicken stock, it also added a fabulous flavor to the potatoes. Simply divine.
On another note I was blessed today to have lunch with another fabulous blogger Sonja at http://practical-stewardship.com/. What a fabulous lunch! She had made homemade sourdough calzones with a spinach salad with strawberries and pecans. Can you say deliciousness. Now go check out her wonderful blog she has lots of fantastic tips and recipes!
On to the potatoes we go...
Peel and slice 9-10 russet potatoes about 1/8"- 1/4" thick.
In a saute pan caramelize onion in melted butter.
Stir until flour is absorbed by the butter and slightly cooked about 1 minute.
Pour chicken stock into the cooked flour mixture. Cook until slightly thickened about 2 minutes.
Slowly stir in milk and pepper. Cook until mixture is hot.
Add cheese and remove from heat.
Stir until cheese is melted.
Grease an 8"x11" pan spread 1/3 of the potatoes evenly over the bottom of the pan. Top potatoes with about 1/4 of the cheese sauce. Repeat another layer and top with another 1/4 of the sauce.
Top last layer with remaining potatoes.
Cover with all remaining sauce and add remaining cheese. Tent tin foil over the top and bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 30-40 minutes until top is starting to brown and potatoes are tender. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
Recipe by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes Au Gratin. An deliciously cheesy potato. Perfect as a main course with ham or a side.Prep time: PT15M
Cook time: PT1H25M
Total time: PT1H40M
Yield: 8 Servings
- 10 whole Medium Sized Russet Potatoes, Peeled And Sliced 1/8"-1/4" Thick
- 3 tablespoons Butter, Cold Sliced 1 Tablespoon Pieces
- 1/2 whole Onion, Diced
- 3 tablespoons Flour
- 3/4 cup Chicken Stock
- 1 1/2 cups Milk
- 1 teaspoon Ground Pepper
- 2 1/2 cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and butter a 8" x 11" baking dish.
- In a large saute pan melt butter over medium heat and add onion. Saute until onion starts to caramelized.
- Add flour and stir until flour is absorbed and starts to cook about 1 minute.
- Slowly stir in chicken stock and cook until thickened about 2 minutes. Slowly stir in milk and pepper. Cook until heated.
- Remove from heat and whisk in 1 3/4 cup shredded cheese. Stir until almost melted.
- In 8"x11" buttered baking dish add 1/3 of the potatoes. Cover with 1/4 of the cheese sauce. Repeat layer. For the last layer add remaining potatoes and cover with remaining cheese sauce. Cover with remaining cheese. Tent tin foil over the top so it doesn't touch the cheese and bake for 45 minutes. Remove tin foil and bake another 30-40 minutes until cheese is starting to brown and potatoes are tender when pierced. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes.