A delicious chili from scratch. Chicken Chili Verde with Avocado is a family favorite.
Ok..Ok.. I know the chili it's self wasn't very Verde color but oh boy oh boy was it tasty..
When the husband and kids tasted it all I heard was MMM..
Oh my gosh Mom this is so good.. Well I guess that is said a lot in our house but what can I say.. It really was delicious and healthy too!
I can't wait to make this again for our first football party of the season!
This is an all time family favorite and never lasts long in our house!
I know your family will enjoy it as much as mine!
These are tomatillos if you've never seen them before now you know!
Peel and wash tomatillos. Halve jalapenos and place skin side down on a cookie sheet. (I removed seeds to prevent mine from being to hot for the kiddo's but if you like it hot hot hot feel free to leave them in.)
Roast in a 450 degree oven from about 15-18 minutes until the bottoms of the tomatillos and jalapeno's start to brown.
Add tomatillos and jalapeno's to a blender. Add juice of 3 limes and puree until smooth.
In a large stock pot add olive oil, garlic and onion. Cook over medium-high heat until onion becomes translucent. Add chicken, sea salt, cumin, chili powder and oregano. Saute chicken for about 5 minutes or until fragrant.
Add pureed tomatillos, chicken stock, and cooked great northern beans. Mix until fully combined and lower the heat to low.
Over a gas burner or grill char the outside of 2 poblano chili's.
Removed charred skin under cold water and dice poblano chili's.
Stir in poblanos and cook for 6-8 hours over low heat. At this point I transferred the mixture to the crock pot.
When done add fresh chopped cilantro right before serving.
Top chili with fresh sliced avocado, shredded cheese, greek yogurt or sour cream and additional cilantro. Whatever you do don't leave out the avocado it helps cut the heat and leaves a nice creamy texture.
Chicken Chili Verde With Avocado
Chicken Chili Verde With Avocado recipe and step by step instructions with pictures.Prep time: PT20M
Cook time: PT6H0M
Total time: PT6H20M
Yield: 5 Servings
Calories per serving: 631Ingredients
Fat per serving: 28
Fat per serving: 28
- 16 whole Tomatillos, Peeled And Washed
- 2 whole Jalapenos, Remove Seeds
- 3 whole Limes, Juiced
- 1 whole Onion, Chopped
- 5 cloves Garlic, Minced
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 whole Chicken Breast, Diced
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 2 tablespoons Cumin
- 2 tablespoons Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- 1 pound Dried Great Northern Beans, Soaked And Cooked Until Tender
- 3 cups Chicken Stock
- 2 whole Poblano Chili's
- 1 bunch Cilantro
- 2 whole Avocados Seeded And Diced
- 2 cups Cheese, Shredded (We Use Jack And Cheddar)
- 1 cup Non Fat Greek Yogurt (For Garnish)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. On a baking sheet place tomatillos and jalapenos skin side down. Cook for 15-18 minutes, until the bottom of the jalapenos start to brown.
- Place tomatillos and jalapenos in a blender with lime juice and puree until smooth.
- In a large stock pot add onion, garlic and olive oil. Saute over medium-high heat until onions become translucent. Add chicken, sea salt, cumin, chili powder and oregano. Saute for about 5 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add tomatillo puree, chicken stock, and beans. Mix until combined. At this point mixture can be transferred to a crock pot. Reduce heat to low.
- Place poblano chili's over an open flame of a gas stove or grill. Cook until outside is charred. Set poblanos aside and allow to cool for 10 minutes or until touchable. Remove skin and rinse under cold water. Remove seeds and stem. Chop. Add to chili.
- Cook over low heat covered for 6-8 hours, stirring as needed.
- Right before serving add chopped cilantro and stir well.
- Serve topped with fresh avocado, cheese and greek yogurt or sour cream.