The perfect summer salad for the bounty of summer tomatoes, cucumbers and herbs.
It's that time of year the tomatoes are fresh and fragrant wherever you go.
Most gardens are over flowing with more tomatoes then they know what to do with.
Colt and I slowly wandered through the grocery store the other night trying to navigate what he would be making for dinner and we stumbled across some gorgeous fresh organic tomatoes on sale.
I sold him on the idea of a Tomato Cucumber Herb Salad with a drizzle of Balsamic and Olive Oil.
He was sold.
As he sliced the tomatoes the kitchen smelled wonderful as only vine ripened tomatoes can.
This was the perfect side dish to the steaks he grilled and Lorna had picked blackberries early in the day and made her first Black Berry Cobbler.
If you follow me on Facebook or Instagram @serenabakessimplyfromscratch you've seen the picture of the berry she dropped on the floor and it became smashed between my toes. I thought I cut my toe since I can't bend to look close so when I asked Colt to take a look he discovered it was berry juice after careful inspection.
The one thing I am thankful for is my family has really learned to work together in the kitchen and to keep the house clean.
They've all made comments about not realizing how much I do on a day to day basis from cooking to cleaning and how much laundry we have.
My house isn't spotless but it's been pretty well maintained
Colt and the kids have gained a new appreciation for me which I feel thankful for.
I try daily to remind myself of anything positive I can find in the situation when I feel so frustrated by the loss of so much of the things I love for the time being.
I can't wait to return to my kitchen but for now I am just thankful how Colt and the kids have stepped up to handle the job.
Gather vine ripe tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, a large handful of parsley, a 1/4 cup of basil, feta or mozzarella cheese, balsamic vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, sea salt and pepper.
Cube tomatoes, slice cucumbers in half and then slice, slice onion half in half and slice thin. Add to a large bowl.
Chop herbs and toss with tomatoes.
Combine olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Drizzle over the top of salad.
Add sea salt and pepper to taste. Add feta or mozzarella cheese and toss until combined. Refrigerate for a minimum of an hour or up to a day for best flavor.
There's no better way to enjoy the bountiful harvest of summer tomatoes.
Tomato Cucumber Herb Salad With Balsamic Vinaigrette
Tomato Cucumber Herb Salad With Balsamic Vinaigrette and Feta Or Mozzarella Cheese. A perfect use of summers bountiful harvest of tomatoes.Prep time: PT10M
Cook time: PT0M
Total time: PT10M
Yield: 8 servings
Calories per serving: 120Ingredients
Fat per serving: 8.5g
Fat per serving: 8.5g
- 7 whole Ripe Beef Steak Tomatoes, Cut Into Large Bite Sized Chunks
- 1 whole Cucumber, Sliced In Half Length Wise And Sliced
- 1/2 whole Red Onion, Sliced Thin
- 1/2 bunch Parsley, Chopped
- 1/4 cup Fresh Basil, Chopped
- 3 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Feta Cheese Or Mozzarella, Cubed
- Sea Salt and Pepper To Taste
- In a large bowl combine tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions, parsley and basil.
- In a small bowl mix balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
- Drizzle balsamic vinaigrette over the tomatoes.
- Season with sea salt and pepper to taste and toss until combined.
- Add feta or mozzarella cheese and toss until combined. Refrigerate for a minimum of an hour or up to a day for best flavor.