This week our small group put out an APB for dessert since the family who was bringing dessert came down with the flu.
How could I possibly not offer my dessert making skills?
So Tuesday morning I scavenged the cupboards to find some kind of sweet treat to make.
I haven't made Carmelita's since last winter and thought it was long over due for some Oatmeal Chocolate Caramel goodness.
Plus I was hopeful for a picture which almost didn't happen because Colt had a late night sweet tooth and ate about a third of a pan with or without my help late Tuesday night.
I was relieved to find 2 bars left unharmed, whew that was close!
Please beware these disappear fast!
For Caramel Filling: In a small saucepan heat heavy cream, butter and sea salt over medium heat until butter melts.
In a large saucepan add sugar, corn syrup and water.
Heat sugar over medium-high heat until caramel starts to brown. DO NOT STIR caramel, if needed swirl pan. Once caramel becomes a medium brown color slowly stir in heated cream mixture. Cook an additional 3 minutes while stirring and remove from heat. Add vanilla and stir well.
Set caramel sauce aside.
For Oatmeal Crumb Crust: To a mixing bowl add oatmeal, flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt.
Mix on low speed until combined.
Add softened butter cut into tablespoon sized pieces and mix on medium-low speed until crumbly.
Butter and line a 9"x13" pan with parchment and butter parchment. Add half of the oatmeal crumb crust to the lined pan.
(Be warned if you taste the oatmeal crust mixture you may not proceed any further and find your self on the couch with a bowl of Oatmeal dough watching missed episodes of The Black List, this may or may not have happened to me.)
Press mixture firmly down and bake in a 350 degree oven for 12 minutes.
Sprinkle chocolate chips and nuts (I didn't add nuts on this occasion since there were multiple couples and some people don't like nuts) evenly across crust and cover with caramel sauce.
(I forgot the photo of the caramel goodness because sometimes I suck, enough said.)
Sprinkle remaining half of oatmeal crust evenly over the top of caramel and bake for 20-22 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool 2 hours before cutting.
Oatmeal Chocolate Caramel Carmelita's
Oatmeal Chocolate Caramel Carmelita's.Prep time: PT25M
Cook time: PT35M
Total time: PT1H0M
For Caramel Layer:
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 2 tablespoons Butter, Softened
- 3/4 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 1/2 cups Sugar
- 1/4 cup Corn Syrup
- 1/4 cup Water
- 3/4 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
For Oatmeal Crumb:
- 2 cups Whole Wheat Pastry Flour Or All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cups Oatmeal
- 1 1/2 cups Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 cup Butter + 2 tablespoons (Softened) plus more for buttering pan.
- 1 1/4 cup Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 cup Chopped Nuts (optional)
- For Caramel Filling: Heat cream, butter and sea salt in a small sauce pan over medium heat until butter is melted. Set aside.
- In a large sauce pan combine sugar, corn syrup and water. Cook over medium-high heat until caramel becomes a medium brown color. Do Not Stir Caramel, swirl the pan if needed.
- Once sugar is a medium brown color slowly stir in warm cream. (Be careful sugar will boil up as cream is added.)
- Continue to stir caramel for 3 more minutes. Remove from heat stir in vanilla and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9" x 13" baking dish and line with parchment paper and butter parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl add flour, oatmeal, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. Mix on low speed until combined.
- Cut butter into tablespoon sized pieces and add to the oatmeal crumb crust mixture, mixing on medium speed until combined and crumbly.
- Pour half the oatmeal crumb crust mixture into parchment lined pan and press mixture firmly down.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with chocolate chips and nuts. Pour caramel sauce evenly over the top. Sprinkle remain oatmeal crumb mixture evenly over the top and bake an additional 20-22 minutes until lightly brown.
- Cool Oatmeal Chocolate Caramel Carmelita's for 2 hours before cutting.