I made this Alphabet Vegetable Soup last night because it's always a family favorite and it's been so cold outside..
I love that it's loaded with veggies, perfect for meatless Mondays and a great way to use up any leftover veggies in the fridge.
The kids love to play with the letters and seem to forget just how much vegetables they're consuming.
We spent the better half of dinner playing with our food and building words.
After all we are big kids at heart!
This post is missing my usual step by step photos.
I don't know if it's my lack of a goodnights sleep for the last 6 months finally catching up to me or just my normal air headedness.
Please someone tell me I'm not alone in this!
I was lucky enough Colt snapped a picture of the green beans so we aren't totally picture-less.
We used fresh green beans and cut then into bite size pieces but frozen would work well too.
Add olive oil to a large soup pot and add onion. Sauté until onion turns light brown and starts to caramelize. Add garlic and stir until garlic is softened.
Add stock, celery, carrots, potato, canned tomatoes, green beans, peas, corn, granulated garlic, Italian seasoning, rosemary, salt, water and alphabet pasta.
Stir until well combined. Bring to a simmer reduce heat to low, cover pot and cook for 20 minutes or until carrots, potatoes and pasta are tender.
Who can resist a hearty bowl of veggies filled with tons of letters to bring back fun memories of childhood.
Young and old alike will love this soup!
The kids scarfed this down and I was lucky to have leftovers for lunch.
Oh and I almost forgot this soup is low calorie with only 180 calories for a generous serving!
Perfect for any New Years resolutions to eat a little bit healthier.
Alphabet Vegetable Soup
Alphabet Vegetable Soup is a favorite of young and old a like. A fun soup to help teach the kids to spell, low calorie, budget friendly, healthy and easy to make. Recipe includes step by step instructions.Prep time: PT15M
Cook time: PT25M
Total time: PT40M
Yield: 10 Servings
Calories per serving: 180Ingredients
Fat per serving: 2
Fat per serving: 2
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 whole Large Onion, Diced Fine Or 1 Small
- 3 cloves Garlic, Minced
- 6 cups Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- 2 cups Water
- 5 stalks Celery, Diced
- 2 cups Carrots, Diced
- 1 1/2 cups Potatoes, Peeled and Diced
- 1/3 pound Green Beans, Cut In Bite Sized Pieces
- 1 cup Peas (Fresh or Frozen)
- 1 cup Corn (Fresh or Frozen)
- 29 ounces Stewed Tomatoes, Diced
- 1 teaspoon Granulated Garlic
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Rosemary, Chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 cup Alphabet Shaped Pasta
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat and add onion. Sauté onions until starting to caramelize. Add garlic and stir until softened and fragrant.
- Add all remaining ingredients and stir until well combined. Bring soup to a simmer and reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 20 minutes or until potatoes, carrots and pasta are tender.
- Season with additional salt and pepper as needed.