I've been making Brown Butter Rice Crispy Treats for some time now after I had accidentally browned the butter a few years back.
I've gone back and forth trying to decide if you all would totally think I was crazy for sharing my favorite little recipe with you but after much consideration I figured if you haven't accidentally browned your butter before you've been missing out on one of life's best kept secrets.
The brown butter adds a rich nutty taste to these little gems.
Just incase the brown butter wasn't enough I slathered the top with a little chocolate ganache just cause that's how I roll...
Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a large pot.
Once butter starts to brown, stir to encourage even browning.
Butter is ready once it's a caramel brown and nutty smelling.
Add 6 cups mini marshmallows and turn heat to low. Stir until marshmallows are melted using as little heat as possible.
Brown butter marshmallowy goodness.
Stir in 6 1/2 cups Rice Crispies until well combined.
Butter a 9"x 13" pan well. Butter a spoon and press Brown Butter Rice Crispy mixture evenly into the pan.
In a small pan heat 1 tablespoon butter and 1/2 cup cream until warm. Remove from heat and add 1 cup chocolate chips. Stir until chocolate is smooth and melted.
Spread melted ganache evenly over rice crispy treats and place into freezer for 15 minutes or until chocolate is set.
Store covered at room temperature.
I think I need to go make another pan! The first is already gone!
This is an on going issue around our house, nothing ever lasts long!
Brown Butter Rice Crispy Treats
Brown Butter Rice Crispy Treats with a Chocolate Ganache Frosting is an easy to make family favorite.Prep time: PT15M
Cook time: PT0M
Total time: PT30M
Yield: 16 Servings
- 4 Tablespoons Butter, Plus More For Greasing Pan and Spoon
- 6 cups Mini Marshmallows
- 6 1/2 cups Rice Crispies
- 1/2 cup Cream
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 1 cup Chocolate Chips
- Butter a 9"x13" pan and set aside.
- In a large pot melt butter and stir until evenly caramel brown and nutty smelling. Turn heat to low and add marshmallows. Stir until marshmallows are melted and remove from heat.
- Add rice crispies and stir until evenly coated.
- Butter a spoon well to keep rice crispy mixture from sticking and press brown butter rice crispy mixture evenly into buttered pan. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan heat cream and butter until hot but not boiling. Remove from heat and add chocolate chips. Stir until chocolate chips are melted and smooth.
- Spread chocolate evenly over the top of Brown Butter Rice Crispies.
- Place in the freezer for 15 minutes to speed the chocolate setting.
- Store Brown Butter Rice Crispies at room temperature.