Posted by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch / Thursday, May 1, 2014
Homemade All Natural Inexpensive Weed Killer
An all natural inexpensive way to kill weeds using vinegar.
Our yards been over run by weeds this year!
I usually buy the all natural weed killer at the local home improvement store because of the kids and dogs but it is so expensive.
Vinegar on the other hand is very inexpensive and works even better then the fancy all natural weed killer I had been buying.
We picked up 2 gallons of vinegar at Costco for under $4.00 and it worked wonderfully when mixed with salt and a little dish soap.
Under $5.00 bucks total for something that is completely safe for my kids and pets that kills weeds is a good thing in my book!
In a clean pump sprayer that hasn't had any chemicals added mix 1/3 cup Salt or 2 ounces Orange Oil, 1 teaspoon All Natural Liquid Dish Soap.
Tip: If your wanting to grow other things where you are spraying this mixture use orange oil instead of salt according to a reader on Facebook the salt will make it hard for other plants to grow in the soil.
Pour in 1 gallon of White Vinegar and use a long paint stir stick and mix until combined.
Alternately if your strong like Colt you can just shake it until well combined.
Make sure the salt on the bottom becomes dissolved.
Weeds are best sprayed on a warm day when their is no rain for 24 hours.
The picture on the right was 12 hours after the weeds were sprayed.
Looks like it worked to me!
Now at least I have the weeds under control until Colt has time to pull them.
All Natural Inexpensive Weed Killer
- 1/3 cup Salt or 2 ounces Orange Oil
- 1 teaspoon All Natural Dish Soap
- 1 Gallon Plain White Vinegar
- Add all ingredients to a clean pump spray that hasn't been used for chemicals and mix or shake until salt is dissolved. The salt provide long term weed control but seedlings and delicate plants might have a hard time growing in the soil after spraying with salt. If you will be planting in the area you are spraying orange oil is a better alternative.
- Spray weeds on a warm day when no rain is expected for 24 hours.