Posted by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch / Wednesday, March 4, 2015
Tuscan Ham and Bean Soup
A hearty soup recipe filled with smokey ham, white beans, zucchini, yellow squash and kale.
I made a big batch of this Tuscan Ham and Bean Soup last weekend because even though it's been sunny it's still been very cold and when it's cold I crave soup to warm my bones.
This soup is probably not authentic Tuscan because I'm not Italian but more my rendition of a perfect soup to take me away to Tuscany on a chilly day.
I used 2 large smoked ham hocks because we had gone out to our favorite butcher and picked a few up but a really meaty ham bone would work too.
I loaded this soup with kale, zucchini, yellow squash, carrots and celery to keep it healthy.
The smokey ham was the perfect disguise to hide the veggies from any picky eaters you might have in the house.
It was devoured with just enough for Colt's lunch the next day.
If you aren't feeding an army this recipe could easily be halved or the leftover's could be frozen for an easy quick dinner the following week.
In a large pot add 2 tablespoon Olive Oil and 1 whole Chopped Onion.
Saute until onion starts to caramelize.
Add 4 stalks Chopped Celery, 4 whole Diced Carrots and 4 cloves Minced Garlic.
Saute until garlic starts to soften and becomes fragrant.
Add 2 pounds Soaked Cannellini Beans or Great Northern Beans, 4 pounds Meaty Smoked Ham Hocks or Meaty Ham Bone, 2 teaspoons Dried Rosemary, 2 teaspoon Dried Oregano, 1 teaspoon Dried Thyme, 1 teaspoon Granulated Garlic, 4 cups Chicken Stock and 6 cups Water.
Mix until well combined bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low.
Cover and cook for 3-4 hours until beans are tender.
Remove ham hocks and remove meat from bones and chop.
Add ham meat, 1 whole Diced Zucchini and 1 whole Diced Yellow Squash.
Stir until combined, cover and cook an additional 45 minutes.
Taste soup and add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in 3 cups Finely Chopped Kale and cook for 2-3 minutes until kale is wilted.
And 3 tablespoons Fresh Basil and 1 handful Chopped Parsley.
Stir until combined and serve.
Don't forget to top it Parmesan because a little cheesy goodness never hurt anyone!
We love a good crusty loaf of bread with this soup but it would go great with homemade Cornbread too.
Check out that glorious bowl of goodness!
Tuscan Ham and Bean Soup
Recipe by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
A hearty soup recipe filled with smokey ham, white beans, zucchini, yellow squash and kale. Tuscan Ham and Bean Soup will quickly become a favorite.Prep time: PT15M
Cook time: PT5H0M
Total time: PT5H15M
Yield: 10 Servings
- 2 pounds Soaked Cannellini Beans or Great Northern Beans
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 whole Onion, Diced
- 4 whole Carrots, Diced
- 4 stalks Celery, Diced
- 4 cloves Garlic, Minced
- 4 pounds Meaty Smoked Ham Hock Or Ham Bones
- 2 teaspoons Dried Rosemary
- 2 teaspoons Dried Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 1 teaspoon Granulated Garlic
- 4 cups Chicken Stock
- 6 cups Water
- 1 whole Zucchini, Diced
- 1 whole Yellow Squash, Diced
- Salt and Pepper To Taste
- 3 cups Kale, Finely Chopped
- 3 tablespoons Fresh Basil, Chopped
- 1 handful Fresh Parsley, Chopped
- For Serving: Crusty Bread and Parmesan Cheese
- In a large pot add olive oil and onion. Cook until onion starts to caramelize.
- Add carrots, celery and garlic. Saute until garlic is softened and fragrant.
- Stir in soaked beans, ham hock or bone, rosemary, oregano, thyme, granulated garlic, chicken stock and water. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 3-4 hours until beans are tender.
- Remove ham hock or bone. Remove ham meat from bone and chop. Add ham meat, zucchini and yellow squash. Stir until combined and cook an additional 45 minutes.
- Taste soup and add salt and pepper as needed. Stir in kale and cook 2-3 minutes until kale is wilted.
- Add basil and parsley.
- Serve with parmesan cheese and crusty bread.