I almost always have frozen bananas in the freezer waiting to be made into a loaf but the last few weeks I don't know whether we've been buying excessive bananas or they are just ripening faster from the heat but my freezers been over run by my collection of over ripe bananas so I knew I was longer over due to get baking!
I was going to originally make Grannies Banana Luncheon Loaf but chocolate was calling my name so I adapted her recipe to make this Double Chocolate Banana Bread and oh my gosh is it sooo good!
I made a few loaves to burn through through the bananas and to double check the recipe was solid.
Since I had an extra loaf I sent it with Colt to work to share with everyone.
From what Colt said it was a hit!
Not that I really had any doubts since we devoured a loaf ourselves and it is adapted from the best banana bread recipe I've ever tried.
Lord only know how much I miss that women but her memory lives on in my kitchen.
Beat 1/2 cup Coconut Oil, Shortening or Butter on medium speed while slowly adding 1 cup Granulated Sugar.
(I use Coconut Oil.)
Beat until well creamed.
Add 2 whole Eggs one at a time beating well between each addition.
Mash 4 large Very Ripe Bananas.
Add mashed bananas, 1 teaspoon Vanilla and mix until well combined.
Scrape sides and bottom of bowl well.
Add 1 3/4 cup All-Purpose or Whole Wheat Pastry Flour, 1/3 cup Cocoa Powder, 1 teaspoon Baking Powder, 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda, 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt, 2 tablespoon Strong Brewed Coffee, 3/4 cup Dark or Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips and 1/2 cup Chopped Nuts (optional).
Mix on low speed until combined and scrape sides of bowl.
Pour into a 9"x5"x3" greased loaf pan.
Push batter into corners or loaf pan and leave center slightly hallowed.
Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips over the top of loaf.
For a well rounded loaf allow loaf to rest for 20 minutes while preheating oven to 350 degrees.
Bake for 60-70 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of loaf comes out clean.
Cool loaf before slicing.
Grab your favorite cuppa and enjoy!
Double Chocolate Banana Bread
Double Chocolate Banana Bread. Moist with lots of chocolate flavor! The perfect use for over ripe bananas.Prep time: PT15M
Cook time: PT1H10M
Total time: PT1H25M
Yield: 1 Loaf
- 1/2 cup Coconut Oil (Not Melted), Softened Butter or Shortening
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 4 whole Large Bananas, Mashed
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 3/4 cup All-Purpose Flour or Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1/3 cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 2 tablespoons Strong Brewed Coffee
- 1 cup Dark or Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 cup Nuts, Chopped (I used Walnuts, Optional)
- Grease a 9"x5"x3" loaf pan.
- Beat coconut oil, butter or shortening while slowly adding sugar. Beat until well creamed.
- Add eggs one at a time beating well between each addition.
- Add mashed bananas, vanilla and blend well.
- Add flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, coffee, 3/4 cup chocolate chips and nuts. Mix on low speed until blended.
- Pour chocolate banana bread batter into greased loaf pan. Push batter into the corners of the loaf pan leaving the center slightly hallowed. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips. For a well rounded loaf allow batter to rest 20 minutes before baking.
- While batter rests preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake bread for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of loaf comes out clean.
- Allow loaf to cool completely before slicing.