I couldn't decide last weekend whether I wanted chocolate chip cookies or a slice of pie so I figured I was best off making the best of both worlds!
Perfect Chocolate Chip Pie takes Nestle Toll House Chocolate Chip Pie to the next level by the addition of brown butter and partially baking the crust for extra flakiness because we all know no one likes a soggy crust!
It's like a perfectly cooked chocolate chip cookie with a crispy outside and soft chewy center.
If you happen to love living on the wild side like us you know nothing goes better with a warm slice of pie then a big scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream..
I find Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie is best served slightly warm so the insides a little extra gooey and the ice cream softens just a little even though it's still amazing served plain.
I may have hid part of the pie in the dark recesses of the fridge where no one will think to look..
Ahem... Like the vegetable drawer..
If you happen to be reading this kids I'm sorry but your too late...
Dad and I enjoyed the last piece of deliciousness last night but I will make you another one soon I promise or better yet you can make one!
Here's the recipe:
In a small pan whisk 1/2 cup of Butter until brown and nutty smelling over medium-high heat.
Remove from heat and whisk in 1/4 cup Cold Butter until melted.
Allow brown butter to cool until solid but soft this process can be sped up by placing into freezer for 15-20 minutes or the refrigerator until firm.
If brown butter becomes cold allow to return to room temperature before using.
Line a 9" Pie Pan with 1/2 a recipe of Flaky Pie Crust and flute edge as desired.
Use a fork to poke holes in bottom and edges of crust.
Press aluminum foil firmly into bottom and sides of pie crust being careful not to disturb the edge.
Bake in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes.
Remove foil and allow to cool.
Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees.
Beat 2 whole Eggs until pale yellow and frothy.
Whisk in 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract, 1/4 teaspoon Salt, 1/2 cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour or All-Purpose Flour, 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar and 1/2 cup Brown Sugar until well combined.
Beat in room temperature brown butter until well combined.
Stir in 1 cup Semi-Sweet or Dark Chocolate Chips and 1 cup Chopped Walnut or desired nuts until well combined.
Spread dough evenly across pie crust.
Bake for 55 to 60 minutes until a toothpick inserted halfway between center and edge comes out clean.
Serve pie while warm, plain or with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Enjoy a little taste of the best of both worlds in case your like me and can't decide between Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies and Pie.
Perfect Chocolate Chip Pie
Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie is a brown butter chocolate chip cookie with a crispy outside and soft chewy center in a flaky pie crust. A delicious dessert perfect for any occasion.Prep time: PT20M
Cook time: PT1H20M
Total time: PT2H0M
Yield: 1 Pie
- 1 whole 9" Single Flaky Pie Crust
- 3/4 cup Butter
- 2 whole Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour Or All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar, Divided Plus More Coating
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 cup Semi-Sweet Or Dark Chocolate Chips
- 1 cup Chopped Walnuts Or Nuts Of Choice
- In a small saucepan brown 1/2 cup of butter until golden brown and nutty smelling. Remove from heat and whisk in remaining 1/4 cup butter until melted. Allow butter to cool until room temperature and solid but soft. To speed the process place melted butter in freezer for 15-20 minutes until solid. If cold allow to return to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a 9" Pie Pan with pie dough and flute edge as desired. Poke pie shell with a fork around edges and bottom. Line with foil and bake for for 20 minutes. Remove foil and allow to cool.
- Lower oven temperature to 325 degrees.
- Beat eggs until pale yellow and frothy. Whisk in vanilla, salt, flour, granulated sugar and brown sugar. Beat in room temperature brown butter until well combined. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts.
- Spread dough evenly in pie crust and bake for 55 to 60 minutes until a toothpick inserted halfway between center and edge comes out clean.
- Serve pie warm or at room temperature.