Posted by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch / Thursday, November 15, 2012
I posted these delicious cookies almost exactly 1 year ago and I thought I would update the picture of Molasses Cookies! My photography skills have defiantly come along way. The first two pictures are the updated pictures and the third picture with the glass of milk was taken last year! I personally like picture number two but I have a feeling foodgawker will tell me picture number one is better because of composition!
Nothing says the holidays like molasses cookies! It's that time of year to start thinking about holiday baking so I thought I would share 1 of my favorite cookie recipes. This recipe came to me from my neighbor Kathy who saved me the day I was locked out of the house. She is the cookie queen! I love these they are chewy and moist with a nice balance of spices. I make these every year, so far this was the 3rd batch of the season! If you have great neighbors like I do make sure to share, receiving these always makes my day!
Cream shortening and sugar on medium until light and fluffy. I use organic non hydrogenated shortening and organic sugar.
Add molasses, spices, baking soda, salt and eggs. Beat on medium low until well blended.
Add all of the flours and mix on low until well incorporated.
Roll 1" balls with dough.
Place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
Use a cup dipped into sugar on the bottom and flatten the balls. Press just enough to make the top level. Bake for 7-9 minutes until cookies if touched with a finger are almost firm.
Recipe by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
Molasses CookiesPrep time: PT10M
Cook time: PT7M
Total time: PT17M
Yield: 36 Cookies
- 3/4 cup Shortening
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1/4 cup Molasses
- 1 whole Large Egg
- 2 teaspoons Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon Ginger
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour or All-Purpose
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup Sugar (Reserved For Flattening With Cup)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cream Shortening and Sugar on medium in blender or by hand with a spoon.
- Add molasses, eggs, baking soda, salt and spices mix on medium low or until well incorporated.
- Add flour and mix on medium low until no longer visible.
- Shape into 1 inch balls or use a cookie scoop to form 1 inch balls.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Space cookies 2 inches apart.
- Use the bottom of a clean cup to press lightly onto 1 ball to transfer a bit of grease to the bottom of the glass. Dip into reserved sugar and then gently press into cookies until they just become level. Repeat dipping in sugar and gently pressing into the cookies until all have been done.
- Bakes for 7-9 minutes, cookies will be almost firm if touched lightly on the top.