Posted by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch / Friday, October 11, 2013
Chocolate Cream Pie
Chocolate Cream Pie with a Dairy Free Option from scratch.
I have a sweet spot for all things chocolate and that definitely includes Chocolate Cream Pie.
There just something about rich chocolate pudding, pie crust and lightly sweetened whipped cream or coconut cream (for a dairy free option) that makes me swoon.
With the holidays quickly approaching I thought it was a good time to update the photo for the recipe and test out a dairy free option with Unsweetend Coconut Milk.
This pie didn't last long in our house.
I'm not sure Colt even let the kids have a piece but I'm glad he snapped an updated shot before devouring what was left.
*Originally Shared 03/01/2012*
Is there anything better then chocolate cream pie in life? I am a pie kind of girl, there is no denying that! Apple, Banana Cream, Pumpkin and don't let me forget Key Lime! I love them all! We where having company over so it was a perfect excuse to indulge in a chocolate and a banana cream pie, after all if you make one you have a second pie crust laying around waiting to be used, so you might as well make two!
If you have never made Chocolate Cream Pie from scratch I promise it is easy and super worth it!
Just thinking about it makes me want to go make another two pies, after all we did share with our company.
Then there's the fork marks left in the pie's from someones late night snacking binge. I really need to get an alarm on the fridge to keep my husband away!
I think both pies lasted less then 12 hours but well worth it!
Line a 9" pie pan with dough. Flute the edge and poke all over with a fork including the sides to prevent bubbles.
Line with heavy foil being careful not to cover the edge.
Place into a 450 degree preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes until crust is set and no longer dough.
Remove foil and bake another 6-10 minutes until light brown. Watch carefully to make sure crust doesn't burn.
Mix flour, cocoa powder, salt and sugar together in a large sauce pan.
Slowly drizzle in milk or coconut milk while stirring over medium heat. Continue to stir until thickened and bubbly. Make sure to be stirring around the edges well during this time to prevent burning. Remove chocolate mixture from heat.
Whisk the eggs .
Whisk 1/2 cup chocolate mixture into the eggs until 2 cups of chocolate mixture has been added. Whisk well between each addition.
Add egg/chocolate mixture back to the chocolate mixture in the pan and return to medium heat. Continue to stir until mixture bubbles. Add vanilla and butter (omit butter for dairy free), stir well and remove from heat.
Pour into prepared pie crust. Cover with plastic wrap and cool in the fridge for at least 5 hours.
Serve with whip cream or whipped coconut cream. Try to keep other peoples grubby hands out of your pie! :) (Good Luck on that one, it doesn't work so well in my house!)
Chocolate Cream Pie
Recipe by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
Chocolate Cream Pie with a dairy free option.Prep time: PT20M
Cook time: PT30M
Total time: PT50M
Yield: 1 9" Pie
- 1 whole 9" Uncooked Pie Crust (If Dairy Free Use Dairy Free Pie Crust)
- 2/3 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Cocoa Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 3 cups Milk Or Unsweetened Coconut Milk
- 3 whole Egg Yolks
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 tablespoons Butter (For Dairy Free Option Omit)
- For Serving: Sweetened Whip Cream Or Whipped Coconut Cream
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Shape pie dough and place into a 9" pie pan. Crimp edge and use a fork to prick the bottom and sides of the pie crust. Line with tin foil. Pressing against the bottom and sides of the crust, all the way to the crimp edge. Do not cover edge. Roll any excess foil inwards to leave the edge exposed.
- Bake for approximately 10 minutes or until the crust is set.
- Remove foil and bake another 6-10 minutes until crust is golden brown, watch carefully.
- Chocolate Cream Pie Filling: Mix sugar, flour, cocoa powder and salt into a medium/large sauce pan and stir until lump free. Slowly drizzle in the milk while stirring over medium heat. Cook over medium heat until mixture thickens and is bubbly, about 5 minutes. Make sure to stir around the edges well. Remove from heat.
- Whisk egg yolks. Take 1/2 cup chocolate mixture and whisk continually while adding to the egg yolks. Continue to add chocolate mixture until a total of 2 cups chocolate mixture has been added.
- Add egg mixture back into the chocolate mixture and return to medium heat stirring continually until mixture starts to bubble. About 2 minutes and remove from heat.
- Add vanilla and butter (if using), stir until fully combined.
- Pour chocolate pudding mixture into the pre-baked pie crust.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 5 hours before serving.
- Top with whipped cream or whipped coconut cream.