Oh creamy mocha pudding bars come to Momma.. I had made this for Mother's Day along with The Key Lime Cheesecake Bars. It was such a wonderful day, my husband had worked on the yard and BBQ for me. The kids had made cute little gifts and cards. I couldn't have felt more blessed. Could there be anything better in the world then a almond cookie crust, a layer of cream cheese mixture and topped off with mocha pudding.. I must be in the mood for the summer seasons with all the bar recipes I have been thinking up. This is a fantastic recipe to bring to a party! I mean who doesn't like mocha pudding? This was devoured in our house!
Add flour and pulse a few times to blend. Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles small pea's. Other wise you can cut butter in using a pastry blender.
Press crust into a 9x13 pan and bake at 325 degree's for 20-25minutes. Set crust aside to cool.
Place a bowl over a pan of simmering water. Add water and gelatin. Allow to cook until gelatin becomes clear and runny.
In a mixer fitted with a whisk attachment add heavy whipping cream and pure vanilla extract.
Add powdered sugar and beat on medium-high until soft peaks form.
Gelatin mixture should look like this.
Drizzle in gelatin mixture into the whipping cream and beat until medium peaks form.
Whip cream mixture should look like this. Be careful not to over beat and create butter. Place whip cream mixture into a different bowl, set aside in the refrigerator.
Place softened cream cheese into the mixing bowl fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat on medium-high until light and fluffy. Scraping the sides as needed.
Add a 1/2 cup of whip cream/gelatin mixture to the cream cheese and mix on low speed and scraping down sides as needed, until whip cream is mostly combined. Repeat 1 cup at a time until all the whip cream is fully incorporated.
The cream cheese mixture should look like this.
Spread cream cheese mixture over cooled crust and place in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
In a large sauce pan add sugar, flour, salt and cocoa powder. Mix well until combined. Slowly add coffee and milk 1/4 cup at a time mixing well between additions. Once all the coffee and milk has been added cook over medium heat until mixture comes to a simmer. Cook another 3 minutes until thickened.
Beat 4 egg yolks in a heat safe container. Add cooked chocolate mixture 1/2 cup at a time to temper the eggs until 2 cups chocolate mixture has been stirred in. Add back to the pudding mixture and stir well. Return to a simmer. Remove from heat and add pure vanilla extract and butter. Stir well and set aside to cool for 15 minutes.
Spread mocha pudding over the top of the cream cheese mixture, cover and return to the refrigerator for 4 hours.
Cut mocha bars and top with whip cream.
Heavenly Mocha Pudding Bars With Almond Cookie Crust
Heavenly Mocha Pudding Bars With Almond Cookie CrustPrep time: PT25M
Cook time: PT25M
Total time: PT50M
Yield: 12 Servings
For Almond Cookie Crust:
- 1/4 cup Sliced Almonds, Chopped
- 1 1/4 cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour Or All-Purpose
- 1/4 cup Powdered Sugar
- 7 tablespoons Butter
Cream Cheese Layer:
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon Water
- 1/2 teaspoon Unflavored Gelatin
- 1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream, Cold
- 5 tablespoons Powdered Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 4 ounces Cream Cheese, Softened
Mocha Pudding Layer:
- 1 cup Sugar or to taste if you prefer sweeter
- 3/4 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup Cocoa Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 4 1/2 cups Milk
- 1 cup Coffee
- 4 whole Egg Yolks
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Bean Extract
- 2 tablespoons Butter, Softened
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- For Almond Cookie Crust: In a food processor or large bowl add almonds, flour and powdered sugar.
- Pulse or mix until well blended. Add butter to food processor and pulse until pea sized chunks. Otherwise use a pastry cutter and cut butter in until small pea sized pieces.
- Place crust mixture into a ungreased 9x13 pan. Press crust mixture evenly in the pan.
- Place in oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until just starting to brown.
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
- For Cream Cheese Layer: Place a bowl over a pan of barely simmering water.
- Add water and gelatin to the bowl. Allow to cook until gelatin becomes clear and runny.
- In a mixer fitted with a whisk attachment add whipping cream, powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat over medium-high until soft peaks form.
- Drizzle in gelatin mixture while beating over medium-high until whip cream resembles clouds. Be careful not to over beat or it will create butter.
- Remove whip cream mixture to a separate bowl and refrigerate while beating cream cheese.
- In the same mixing bowl add cream cheese and beat with whisk attachment until light and fluffy over medium-high. Scrape the sides as needed.
- Add 1/2 cup whip cream mixture and beat over low until almost combined. Scrape the sides of bowl between additions.
- Repeat with remaining whip cream 1 cup at a time until all whip cream is incorporated and fully combined.
- Spread cream cheese/whip cream mixture over the top of the cooled almond cookie crust. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Mocha Pudding Layer: Mix sugar,flour, cocoa powder and salt into a large sauce pan and stir until lump free.
- Slowly drizzle in coffee and milk while stirring over medium heat. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture thickens and is bubbly, about 5 minutes. Make sure to stir around edges well. Remove from heat.
- Whisk egg yolks.
- Take 1/2 cup mocha mixture and whisk continually while adding to the egg yolks. Continue to add mocha mixture until a total of 2 cups chocolate mixture has been added. Add egg mixture back into the mocha mixture and return to medium heat stirring continually until mixture starts to bubble, about 2 minutes and remove from heat. Add vanilla and butter, stir until fully combined.
- Allow mocha pudding to cool for 15 minutes, stirring as needed to help cool and prevent a skin from forming over the top.
- Spread mocha pudding over the cream cheese layer. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours.
- Serve with sweetened whip cream.