Posted by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch / Thursday, October 11, 2012
French Bread Dinner Rolls
Crusty chewy french bread dinner rolls. So good and easy to make.
Oh dear rolls how I love thee.. Hot, crusty, chewy, rolls, need I say more? Do not be afraid my friends on the time it takes to make these, it is well worth it and helps develop the flavor and texture of the rolls. These are a Thanksgiving staple in our house and the perfect rolls to fill with Sloppy Joe's for Sloppy Joe Sliders. Most of the time I make these the day before and leave them in the fridge to be popped in the oven 30 minutes before we're ready to eat. These never make it past the first 30 minutes out of the oven, they are long gone and very dearly missed. How well I guess I better make some more!
Mix water, yeast and honey in mixing bowl and allow to sit for 8 minutes.
Yeast will become foamy.
Add all of the flour and sea salt.
Knead on medium speed for about 8 minutes until dough pulls away from the side of bowl and is smooth.
Grease a large bowl with butter and add dough. Cover bowl with a moist towel or plastic wrap. Allow to rise 45 minutes.
Fold dough over onto itself on all all four sides.
This is realigning the gluten in the dough and developing texture and flavor.
Recover and repeat this process in another 45 minutes.
Cover and allow dough to rise another 30-45 minutes until doubled in size.
Grease 2 (8"or 9") cake pans or 9x13 pan and set aside. (I find the cake pans easier to fit into the fridge.)
On a lightly floured work surface divide dough in half and divide each half into 5. For a total of 10 rolls. Shape each roll by tucking edges under until roll becomes smooth on top and round.
Place rolls seam side down into greased pan and cover. Place into the refrigerator for a minimum of 4 hours or up to 2 days.
Preheat oven to 500 degrees and remove rolls from the refrigerator and allow to rise while oven preheats until almost double in size. Right before placing rolls in the oven spray with water. I don't have a spray bottle for food (I keep meaning to buy one) so I have found either getting my fingertips wet and flicking the rolls with water works or getting a pastry brush wet and running my fingers over the end to flick droplets of water works well. Place in oven and cook for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature down to 400 and bake another 10-15 more minutes until rolls are brown on the outside and sound hollow when top is tapped. Remove from pan and cool 5 minutes.
French Bread Dinner Rolls
Recipe by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
Prep time: PT3H
Cook time: PT25M
Total time: PT7H25M
Yield: 10 Servings
- 1 cup Warm Water Under 110 Degrees
- 1 teaspoon Active Dry Yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon Honey
- 2 1/4 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- Mix water, yeast, and honey in a mixer fitted with a dough hook. Allow to sit for 8 minutes until yeast becomes foamy.
- Add all of the flour and sea salt and knead on medium speed for about 8-10 minutes or until dough pulls away from the side of bowl and become smooth.
- Place dough into a well greased bowl, cover and allow to rise for 45 minutes.
- Fold each side of dough over onto itself on all four sides in the bowl to make a square and recover the dough.
- Allow to rise another 45 minutes and repeat folding the dough. This is realigning the gluten in the rolls.
- Recover dough and rise 30-45 minutes until doubled in size.
- Grease 2 (8" or 9") round cake pans or 9x13 pan with butter.
- On a lightly floured work surface divide dough in half. Divide each half into 5. For a total of 10 rolls.
- To shape rolls tuck edges of the roll under until rolls become smooth on top and round. Place rolls seam side down into greased pan (5 in each pan if using cake pans) and cover.
- Place shaped rolls into the refrigerator for a minimum of 4 hours or up to 2 days.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees and remove rolls from the refrigerator while oven preheats. Allow rolls to double in size.
- Right before placing rolls in the oven mist with water.
- Bake in 500 degree oven for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 400 degree and bake 10-15 minutes more until rolls are brown on the outside and hollow sounding when top is tapped.
- Remove from oven and cool 5 minutes.