I ❤ Chicken Or Turkey Pot Pie! Add cheddar biscuits to the top and I am in heaven! The filling can easily be made ahead of time and topped with the biscuits right before baking! Hello deliciousness! Come to Mama!
When I was little Granny would regularly make chicken pot pies in the cute little ramekins. It was always a favorite but right off the bat I fall short on recreating her cute little pot pies. Why you ask? I'm missing the cute little ramekins and it's just never the same in a large pie because the crust to filling ratio is off! Someday real soon I will finally buy some cute little ramekins and make you some very cute little pot pies but for now I will bring you something equally as delicious!
Melt butter and add olive oil to a large skillet and add onion. Saute until onion starts to caramelize.
If using raw chicken you will add it now and brown on all sides. If using cooked chicken or turkey skip this step.
Add garlic, celery and carrots. If using cooked chicken or turkey you will add this now. Mix to combine.
Add seasonings and stir until incorporated.
Add flour and stir for 1 minute until flour is coating the veggies and meat.
While stirring pour chicken stock into flour mixture until smooth and add peas. Cook until mixture thickens about 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat.
Meanwhile combine flour, baking powder, garlic powder, salt and sugar in a large bowl.
Cut cold butter and shortening until mixture resembles peas.
Add cheddar cheese and 2 tablespoons Parsley. Stir until combined.
Stir milk into flour mixture just until combined.
Biscuit dough will look like this.
Add filling to a 9"x13" pan.
Top filling by dropping 12 equally sized biscuits on top. Place into a 400 degree oven for 25 minutes or until filling is hot and bubbly and biscuits are cooked through.
Combine Garlic Butter ingredients 3 tablespoons melted butter, garlic powder and parsley. Set aside.
When casserole is done remove from oven and brush garlic butter over the biscuits.
Allow to cool for 5 minutes and enjoy!
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 55 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 whole Onion, Medium Sized Diced Fine
- 2 whole Chicken Breast, Diced Or 4 cups Cooked Chicken Or Turkey
- 3 cloves Garlic, Minced
- 4 stalks Celery, Diced
- 5 whole Carrots, Diced
- 1 teaspoon Rosemary, Dried
- 1 teaspoon Sage
- 2/3 cup Flour
- 3 cups Chicken Stock
- 1 1/2 cups Peas
- 1 3/4 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 3 tablespoons Shortening
- 4 tablespoons Butter, Cut Into Tablespoon Pieces
- 2 tablespoons Parsley, Chopped
- 1 1/2 cups Cheddar Cheese
- 3/4 cup Milk
FOR GARLIC BUTTER
- 3 tablespoon Butter, Melted
- 1/4 teaspoons Garlic Powder
- 1 tablespoon Parsley
- FOR FILLING: Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large pan melt butter over medium high heat and add olive oil and onions. Saute until onions are caramelized.
- Add chicken and brown on both sides. If using cooked chicken or turkey add it now and skip browning.
- Add garlic, celery, carrots, rosemary, and sage. Mix to combine.
- Add flour and stir to coat chicken and vegetables about 1 minutes.
- Slowly stir in chicken stock to prevent lumps from forming.
- Add peas and cook until mixture thickens.
- Place mixture into a 9"x13" pan.
- FOR BISCUITS: Combine flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and garlic powder. Mix until combine.
- Using a pastry cutter or fork cut in butter and shortening to the flour mixture until butter resembles pea's.
- Stir in cheese and parsley until well combined.
- Stir in milk until barely combined being careful not to over mix.
- Drop 12 equal sized biscuits over filling.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until mixture is hot and bubbly and biscuits are cooked through.
- FOR GARLIC BUTTER: Combine all ingredients and brush over the top of cooked biscuits directly out of the oven.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.