How was your weekend?
We had a fabulous Taco night with Slow Cooked Pork Carnitas Tacos and Grapefruit Lime Margaritas! It was a stay in kind of date night with the kids!
The kids, Colt and I all participated in a major Neft Gun fight until I was loosing and grabbed all the ammo and shoved it in my pockets and ran out the door... Ha..Ha.. Mom still won. I think I had Nerf bullets coming out of everywhere!
When Colt and I headed down to rent a few movies I was still pulling Nerf Gun bullets out of different areas I had used to conceal the bullets!
We enjoyed a few Grapefruit Lime Margaritas with our movie and just enjoyed being home together.
I think good food always helps set the tone for a nice evening in!
Now on to the recipe!
In a large pot or crock pot place pork shoulder roast and rub with oil, garlic powder, cumin, smoked paprika, chili powder and sea salt. Make sure to rub that baby good on all sides. Now add 4 cloves garlic, diced onion, lime and orange juice to the pot. Add 1 1/2 cups water and cover pot. Turn heat to low and simmer pork roast for 2 1/2 - 3 hours until the roast falls apart. About 1 1/2 hours into baking flip roast over.
If making roast in the crock pot cook on high for 6 hours or low for 8 hours or until pork is fork tender.
Use 2 forks to shred the pork in the juice in the bottom of the pan.
Mmmm.. We like to top our Pork Carnitas with a little Mango Salsa.
If Mango Salsa doesn't strike your fancy Pico de Gallo's sure to be a winner!
Mmmm.. What could be better with your Pork Carnitas Tacos then a Grapefruit Lime Margarita?
Heat flour or corn tortillas and serve with desired toppings like salsa, hot sauce, sour cream or greek yogurt, lettuce, onions and cheese.
Slow Cooked Pork Carnitas Tacos
Pork Carnitas TacosPrep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 180 minutes
Total time: 190 minutes
Yield: 5-6 servings
- 2 1/2 pound Pork Shoulder Roast, Boneless
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/2 whole Onion, Diced
- 4 cloves Galic
- 2 whole Limes, Juiced
- 1 whole Orange, Juiced
- 1 1/2 cups Water
- To Assemble: Warm Corn or Flour Tortillas, Mango Salsa, Pico De Gallo, Hot Sauce, Sour Cream Or Greek Yogurt, Shredded Lettuce, Diced Onion and Shredded Cheese
- In a large pot or crock pot off the heat add the pork roast. Sprinkle with the oil, garlic powder, cumin, smoked paprika, chili powder and sea salt. Rub seasoning into meat on all sides.
- Add onion, garlic, lime juice, orange juice and water.
- Cover and turn heat to low and bring to a simmer.
- If cooking on top of the stove cook for 2 1/2-3 hours or in the crock pot on high for 6 hours or low for 8 hours or until fork tender. Flip roast over half way through baking.
- Use 2 forks to shred pork.
- Serve shredded pork in tortillas topped with desired toppings.