These are my all time favorite treat.
Who can resists Brownies or Chocolate Chip Cookies?
Not I, especially when brown butter is involved.
If you're feeling really naughty go ahead and add a big scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream..
I promise I won't tell, actually I did it myself and oh boy was it worth every last bite..
My friend Lisa requests this anytime we have dinner at their house, it's her favorite too..
For very good reasons..
I adapted this recipe from my Ultimate Brookies post and used The Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies with the brown butter.
Now go get to baking!
Melt chocolate with butter for brownie layer over low heat stirring constantly until chocolate melts. Set aside.
Beat eggs and both sugars on medium-high speed with a whisk attachment for about 5 minutes until mixture becomes light and pale.
Turn speed to low and pour in melted chocolate/butter mixture and vanilla. Stir until combined.
Add flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Mix until well incorporated. Scraping sides of bowl as needed.
Add sour cream and nuts (if using). Mix until well incorporated. Spread evenly in 9"x13" pan, buttered, lined with parchment and parchment buttered. Alternatively you can butter pan and dust with cocoa powder.
Brown 10 tablespoons butter in a small sized saucepan until butter is brown and nutty smelling. Swirl the pan as needed to evenly brown the butter. Remove from heat and add to large mixing bowl. Add remaining 4 tablespoons cold butter and mix until butter is melted.
Add both sugars, vanilla and sea salt. Mix until blended.
Combine whole egg and egg yolk. Whisk until thoroughly blended. Add egg to butter/sugar mixture and beat on medium-high speed for 30 seconds.
Allow mixture to rest 3 minutes. Mix again for 30 seconds and repeat 3 minute rest. Repeat until batter becomes thick and pale.
It should look about like this...
Add baking soda and mix for about 30 more seconds. Scrape down the sides of bowl.
Add flour and mix on low speed until combined.
Can't forget the chocolate chips.. Stir until chocolate chips are evenly distributed on low speed.
Drop spoonfuls of Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough evenly over brownies.
Bake in 350 degree oven for 35 minutes-45 minutes, dependent on how chewy you like your cookies and brownies. I like mine gooey so when the cookie dough was set to the touch and lightly brown I removed the Brown Butter Brookies from the oven.
Allow to cool for 1 hour before cutting. If using parchment Brookies can be removed from the pan for easier cutting.
Enjoy with a tall glass of milk or a big scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream..
If you're feeling really naughty why not have Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream...
I won't tell if you don't!
Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Brownie Bars aka Brown Butter Brookies
Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Brownie Bars aka Brown Butter BrookiesPrep time: PT30M
Cook time: PT35M
Total time: PT1H5M
Yield: 16 Bars
For Brownie Layer
- 4 tablespoons Butter
- 2 ounces Unsweetened Chocolate
- 1/3 cup Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 3 whole Eggs
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1/4 cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour or All-Purpose
- 3 tablespoons Cocoa Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup Sour Cream
- 1/2 cup Nuts, Chopped ( I used Walnuts)
Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Layer
- 14 tablespoons Cold Butter
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 cup Packed Brown Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 whole Egg
- 1 whole Egg Yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 3/4 cup All-Purpose Flour Or Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1 1/4 cup Chocolate Chips, Good Quality
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9x13 pan with butter, line with parchment paper and butter parchment. Alternatively you can butter pan and dust with cocoa powder.
- For Brownies Layer:Place butter and chocolate in a small saucepan over low heat and heat until melted.
- In a mixer fitted with the whisk attachment add eggs and sugar's. Whisk until pale yellow and fluffy about 5 minutes on medium.
- Add melted chocolate and vanilla to the egg mixture. Mix until almost incorporated. Add dry ingredients to the eggs and mix until fully incorporated on stir, scraping down sides as needed.
- Add sour cream and nuts, stir in using a rubber spatula until fully incorporated.
- Spread brownie layer evenly over the bottom of greased pan.
- For Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Layer: In a small saucepan add 10 tablespoons butter and melt over medium heat until butter is brown and nutty smelling. Swirl the pan as needed to encourage butter to brown evenly. Remove from heat.
- Add browned butter to mixing bowl and add remaining 4 tablespoons cold butter cut into 1 tablespoon sized pieces. Mix until butter is melted.
- Add both sugars, vanilla and sea salt. Mix until blended.
- Whisk whole egg with egg yolk and add to butter/sugar mixture. Beat on medium high speed 30 seconds. Let mixture rest 3 minutes.
- Repeat beating mixture for 30 seconds and resting for 3 minutes until mixture becomes thick and pale.
- Add baking soda and mix for 30 seconds. Scrape down the sides of bowl.
- Add flour and mix on low speed just until combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Layer evenly by spoonfuls over the top of brownie layer.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes. 35 minutes are for a gooier brookie. Brown Butter Brookies are done when chocolate chip cookie layer is light brown and brownies have risen around chocolate chip cookies.
- Allow bars to cool for 1 hour before cutting.