Did you have a wonderful weekend?
Colt's been on vacation the last few days and we were able to have some much needed family time.
Our niece came over to spend the night with us last night and we went to see Frozen.
It was such a cute family movie, well worth seeing in the movie theater.
Our sweet niece woke up at about 2 am with a tummy ache and couldn't sleep.
So she climbed into bed next to me, boy I don't know how I forgot just how miserable it is to share the bed with a little one.
I slept in the middle and she somehow pushed us over to about 1/4 of the bed and hogged the rest.
Colt had to get up to move her over twice so we could try to reclaim our bed.
Eventually at some point she headed back to Lorna's room and went back to sleep because we snored too loud.. Ha..Ha.. I guess we won the battle of the bed.
The only down side was we were all to tired to get up in the morning and snoozed through the alarm.
As much as I miss having a little one around the house it was a great reminder how much I love that my kids sleep through the night in their own beds.
This Gluten Free Crock Pot Clam Chowder is so easy to make and a perfect fix it and forget it meal whether your struggling through sleep deprived nights or busy days.
It requires so little effort and is full of flavor.
I've been making Chowder like this for as long as I can remember and actually prefer it without any added thickener because the mashed potatoes make for a naturally thick creamy chunky soup.
According to Colt and the kids it's the best ever but I'll let you be the judge of that.
I can promise this will satisfy the gluten free and gluten lovers alike, no one will miss it.
Add butter to the bottom of the Crock Pot and set to high while you chop 1/2 a large onion.
Add onion and garlic to crock pot and stir until onion starts to become translucent.
I allowed the onion to cook while I diced the celery and potatoes.
Add celery, potatoes and 2 teaspoons fresh or dried thyme.
Add juice from canned clams to the potatoes, stir until well combined. Cover and cook on hi for 4-6 hours or low for 8 hours.
Store clams in the refrigerator until ready to use.
(I find large cans of canned clams at Costco.)
Soup is ready when potatoes are fork tender.
Use a potato masher or immersion blender and mash half of the soup in the pot.
Add clams to the soup and cook an additional 15-20 minutes until clams are heated through.
Add half and half or cream.
Add pepper to taste and mix until well combined, serve immediately.
Do not boil soup once cream is added or it may separate and curdle.
Serve Gluten Free Crock Pot Clam Chowder with green onions and bacon bits because everything is better with bacon.
Guaranteed to satisfy the clam chowder lovers in your house!
Gluten Free Crock Pot Clam Chowder
Gluten Free Crock Pot Clam Chowder. So thick and delicious no one will know it's gluten free. Recipe includes step by step instructions with pictures.Prep time: PT15M
Cook time: PT4H
Total time: PT4H15M
Yield: 8 Servings
Calories per serving: 438Ingredients
Fat per serving: 17
Fat per serving: 17
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 1/2 whole Large Onion, Diced Fine Or 1 Small
- 1 clove Garlic, Minced
- 6 whole Large Baking Potatoes, Peeled and Cubed
- 5 stalks Celery, Diced
- 2 teaspoons Thyme, Fresh or Dried
- 51 ounces Chopped Canned Clams
- 1 cup Half & Half or Cream
- 3/4 teaspoon Ground Pepper Or To Taste
- 6 slices Diced and Cooked Bacon
- 3/4 cup Scallions, Sliced
- In a large Crock Pot add butter, onion and garlic. Turn crock pot to high while dicing potatoes and celery. Cover and cook onion until it becomes translucent about 10-15 minutes dependent on how slow the Crock Pot heats up.
- Add diced potatoes, celery and thyme.
- Drain clam juice from canned clams and add juice to crock pot. Store drained clams in refrigerator.
- Stir potatoes well and cover. Set crock pot to hi for 4-6 hours or low for 8 hours.
- When potatoes are tender use a potato masher or immersion blender to mash half of the potato mixture in the crock pot. Add clams and stir well, cook an additional 15-20 minutes or until clams are heated through.
- Turn heat off and stir in half & half or cream. Once half & half is added do not cook any longer or cream may curdle.
- Serve immediately with bacon bits and scallions.