I'm ashamed to tell you this but when Colt and I first got married we lived off of the convenience of Hamburger Helper.
It was cheap and our budget was tight.
Our use of hamburger helper didn't last long once we had Lorna I started to become aware of labels and what we were eating and it quickly disappeared from our cupboard.
But the need of an easy, quick minimal dish for dinner didn't.
I love this One Skillet Cheeseburger Helper.
It's so easy to make and can be made gluten free using brown rice penne or macaroni noodles.
Our family can't even tell the difference when I use the brown rice noodles, it's devoured just as fast.
The leftovers have been fought over every time I make this, I promise this won't disappoint.
Add butter or olive oil and sauté onion over medium-high heat in a deep skillet.
Just an fyi butter makes everything better!
Add ground beef, minced garlic and cook until brown. I use lean ground beef, if you use a fattier ground beef drain off extra any grease before adding the spices.
Add garlic powder, chili powder, salt, tomato paste and dijon mustard.
Stir until well combined.
Add chicken stock, brown rice penne noodles or regular large macaroni noodles and half and half or milk. Stir until well combined.
Bring mixture to a simmer over medium-high heat.
Please try to ignore my mess on the stove I somehow splattered ground beef all over my clean stove when I bumped the spoon. Our dogs however where thankful for the tidbits that fell on the floor.
Turn heat to low, cover with a lid and cook for 14 minutes.
Remove lid and check pasta for doneness. If sauce is runny remove lid and simmer for an additional few minutes until thickened.
Add shredded cheddar cheese and mix until throughly blended.
Check out all that easy cheesy goodness and it was just as easy to make as the stuff out of a box!
Easy peasy lemon squeezy as my kids would say.
Warning once you make this your family will beg for it in the weekly rotation.
Yes it's that good!
Dinner dilemma solved!
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 1/2 whole Onion, Diced Fine
- 1 clove Garlic, Minced
- 1 1/4 pounds Ground Beef (I prefer lean)
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Tomato Paste
- 1/2 teaspoons Dijion Mustard (GF)
- 16 ounces Penne Or Large Macaroni Noodles (Brown Rice Noodles For Gluten Free)
- 4 cups Chicken Stock (GF)
- 1 cups Half and Half or Milk
- 3 cups Cheddar Cheese, Grated
- In a large deep skillet heat butter until melted over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute until softened. Add garlic and ground beef. Cook until beef is brown. Drain any excess fat. Stir in garlic powder, chili powder, salt, tomato paste and dijion mustard. Add pasta, chicken stock and half and half or milk. Stir until well combined. Bring to a simmer, cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for 14 minutes or until pasta is tender. Remove cover and cook an additional 1-2 minutes if runny. Remove from heat and stir in cheddar cheese until melted.
© 2014 Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
Created using The Recipes Generator
Another favorite dinner skillet is: