Posted by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch / Wednesday, April 2, 2014
Marinated Carne Asada
An easy dinner to barbecue or sear in a cast iron pan. Marinated Carne Asada is always a family favorite.
I'm so stoked barbecue season is almost here and one of my all time fav's on the barbie is Marinated Carne Asada!
Flank Steak was on sale while we were at ye olde grocery store trying to stick to our list which seems pointless.
I always end up buying way more food then what I planned.
It's the black hole of our pocket book, I really should buy stock in the local grocery store and Costco.
Oh don't get me started on Costco we actually celebrate when we step foot out of there under $100.00.
We actually double high five and play Celebrate by Kool and The Gang on our way home.
Ok you caught me I actual sing Celebrate while the kids yell at me to stop and tell me I'm embarrassing them..
They have no idea what embarrassment is!
I grew up with a couple of Uncles that were always more then ready to be crazy and embarrassing!
I remember one year for my birthday we drove through down town Portland with my Uncle honking the horn and yelling out the window that it's my birthday.
Let's just say everyone and their Grandmother was staring at our car!
It's what makes me love my family so much they always know how to have a great time and provided me with some pretty amazing memories.
Alright before I start getting all sentimental we better get back to the beef!
In a large plastic bag or a container add juice of 2 limes and 1 orange.
Chili powder, granulated garlic, cumin, salt, olive oil and hot sauce.
Maybe a shot of tequila for a little extra flavor and one for yourself...
I just wouldn't suggest more then that because you know that song about what happens when you drink too much tequila, it makes your clothes fall off and that may or may not be a good thing.
Add your gorgeous flank steak and cover in marinade. Allow to marinate for a minimum of an hour or overnight. Make sure to flip flank steak half way through marinating if you didn't use a ziploc bag.
If you aren't going to grill this bad boy the next best thing is a cast iron pan or cast iron grill pan.
Heat a dry pan over high heat. When pan is hot sear Carne Asada and cook about 5-8 minutes on each side.
Until steak is well seared with nice caramelization and desired doneness.
If you like your steak well done you'll probably need to turn the heat down to medium-low and cook to your liking.
We like ours about medium to medium-rare..
Slice steak across the grain in thin slices and serve with a little fresh lime to squeeze over the top.
Restaurant Style Mexican Rice is the perfect side to go with your Marinated Carne Asada if you choose to go the more traditional route.
Mmm.... And maybe Pink Grapefruit Lime Margaritas!
Marinated Carne Asada Recipe
Recipe by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
Carne Asada is delicious served in tortillas or over a salad. A summertime favorite.Prep time: PT10M
Cook time: PT16M
Total time: PT1H26M
Yield: 5 Servings
- 1 whole Flank Steak
- 2 whole Limes, Juiced and Seeds Removed
- 1 whole Orange, Juiced
- 2 teaspoons Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Granulated Garlic
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Hot Sauce (Like Cholula)
- 1 shot Tequila or an additional Lime
- In a large ziploc bag or container with a lid combine lime juice, orange juice, chili powder, granulated garlic, cumin, salt, olive oil, hot sauce and tequila. Mix until well combined. Add the Flank Steak, cover in marinade and marinate for 1 hour or overnight.
- Tip:If using a ziploc bag press all the air out of the bag. If using a container rotate flank steak at the half way point.
- Carne Asada can be cooked on the barbecue until desired doneness or cooked inside in a cast iron pan.
- To cook steak in a cast iron pan heat a dry cast iron pan over high heat until hot. Add steak and cook 5-8 minutes until steak is well caramelized and seared. Flip steak and cook an additional 5-8 minutes or until desired doneness is reached.
- If you like your steak well done you'll need to turn heat to medium-low once the steak is flipped.
- Allow steak to rest 5 minutes before slicing so juices can redistribute.
- Slice Carne Asada across the grain and serve immediately.