Disclaimer: If you aren't big on Tuna I suggest you check out these other pasta skillet ideas or feel free to sub the tuna for chicken.
Sometimes I need something easy and quick to make for dinner that the kids will devour and Gluten Free Creamy Cheesy Tuna Noodle Skillet is another one of my favorite skillet dinners.
We almost always have the ingredients for this skillet in the cupboard saving a trip to the grocery store.
This works great with gluten free brown rice noodles or regular pasta, I've made it both ways.
Tuna's so inexpensive and since I've been unable to work since last July anything we can do to slash our grocery budgets a good thing, I know so many of you are in the same boat.
Even though this is a budget friendly dinner it's full of flavor and something I would make regardless of if we were on a budget or not because it's just that good.
Alright shall me get on to the recipe?
In a large skillet with a lid melt 1 tablespoon butter and add 1/2 an onion diced. Sauté until onion starts to turn brown and caramelize.
This incorporates a lot of flavor into the pasta.
Add 1 clove minced garlic, 4 diced carrots, 3 diced stalks celery, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder and 7 ounces canned tuna in water drained.
Mix until well combined.
Add 16 ounce gluten free brown rice macaroni noodles or regular macaroni noodles for non gluten free, 4 cups good quality chicken broth and 1 cup milk or half and half.
Mix until well combined. Bring to a simmer and cover. Cook for about 12 minutes or until pasta is almost tender.
Add 2 cups fresh or frozen peas and stir until peas are warm.
Add 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese and stir until the cheese is melted.
Have a taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
Gluten Free Creamy Cheesy Tuna Noodle Skillet
Gluten Free Creamy Cheesy Tuna Noodle Skillet is an easy, delicious, budget friendly meal done in under 25 minutes.Prep time: PT10M
Cook time: PT14M
Total time: PT24M
Yield: 6 Servings
Calories per serving: 498Ingredients
Fat per serving: 14
Fat per serving: 14
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 1/2 whole Onion, Diced
- 1 clove Garlic, Minced
- 4 whole Carrots, Diced
- 3 ribs Celery, Diced
- 1/2 teaspoon Granulated Garlic
- 7 ounces Canned Tuna In Water
- 16 ounces GF Brown Rice Macaroni Noodles
- 4 cups Chicken Stock (Gluten Free)
- 1 cup Milk or Half and Half
- 2 cups Frozen Or Fresh Peas
- 3 cups Cheddar Cheese, Shredded
- Salt and Pepper To Taste
- In a large deep skillet heat butter until melted over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until starting to caramelize.
- Add garlic, carrots, celery, granulated garlic, and tuna. Mix until well combined and break tuna into chunks.
- Add Pasta, chicken stock and milk. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for 12 minutes or until pasta is almost tender.
- Stir in peas and stir until peas are warm and pasta is tender.
- Add cheese and stir until melted.
- Taste pasta and salt and pepper to taste.
- If runny remove lid and cook until thickened.