Posted by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch / Saturday, April 25, 2015
Greek Quinoa Salad
Colt's been on vacation this week so he could catch up on all the never ending projects that need to be finished.
He spent last weekend with the kids digging a ditch and installing a french drain in the back yard to hopefully cure the small natural spring we had forming in the middle of our grass.
It was constantly like a mud pit year around and of course the dogs and kids would want to walk right through it unless you watched them carefully at the door.
Just for the record we aren't talking just a little bit of mud we are talking halfway up their legs kind of mud.
Hopefully he's finally solved the backyard swamp mystery or he might end up going crazy!
We just happen to go to small group with a few guys that have perfected the art of growing grass and Colt's swamp has kept him from his dream yard.
While he was busy with his projects I made this Greek Quinoa Salad.
It's the perfect side dish, lunch or even dinner since quinoa is high in protein.
This is one of my favorite ways to sneak quinoa into the kids at the moment.
They love Greek Salad so it makes an easy transport vessel.
I happened to have some leftover uncooked red quinoa from when I made this Quinoa Shrimp Mango Pomegranate Spinach Salad but any color quinoa would be equally delicious!
I know you'll love this recipe as much as we do!
To Make Vinaigrette: In a blender combine 1/3 cup White Wine Vinegar, 2/3 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 1 teaspoon Sea Salt, 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon Honey and 1 clove Garlic.
Blend until mixture becomes creamy and garlic is fully emulsified.
To Cook Quinoa: Bring 2 cups Water to a boil. Add a pinch of salt and stir in 1 cup Quinoa. Turn heat to low, cover and cook for 20 minutes until water is absorbed.
Remove from heat and allow to cool.
Refrigerate until cold.
Toss Quinoa with about 1/4 cup of Vinaigrette to coat.
Add 1 1/2 pints Cherry Tomatoes sliced in half, 1 large English Cucumber Peeled and Chopped, 1/4 cup Red Onion finely diced, 1 whole Red Bell Pepper, 4 ounces Kalamata Olives or Black Olives and 3 ounces Crumbled Feta Cheese.
Toss with enough vinaigrette to coat well.
Add 2 cups Baby Spinach and toss until well combined.
Refrigerate until cold and enjoy!
Greek Quinoa Salad
Recipe by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
Greek Quinoa Salad an easy healthy salad perfect as a side dish, lunch or dinner.Prep time: PT15M
Cook time: PT20M
Total time: PT2H35M
Yield: 8 Servings
- 1 cup Uncooked Quinoa
- 1/3 cup White Wine Vinegar
- 2/3 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon Honey
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1 1/2 pints Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 whole Large English Cucumber, Peeled and Roughly Diced
- 1/4 cup Red Onion, Finely Chopped
- 1 whole Red Bell Pepper, Seeds Removed and Diced
- 4 ounces Kalamata Olives Or Black Olives
- 3 ounces Crumbled Feta
- 2 cups Baby Spinach
- To Cook Quinoa: In a small saucepan bring 2 cups water to a boil with a pinch of salt. Stir in quinoa. Turn heat to low and cover. Simmer for 20 minutes until quinoa is tender and water is absorbed. Allow to cool and refrigerate until cold.
- For Vinaigrette: In a blender combined white wine vinegar, olive oil, sea salt, italian seasoning, honey and garlic. Blend until creamy and garlic is fully emulsified.
- Toss a 1/4 cup vinaigrette with quinoa and add tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, bell pepper, kalamata olives and feta cheese. Add additional vinaigrette to coat and stir in spinach.
- Refrigerate until cold and serve.