Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.
I've been wanting to share this recipe for Frozen Root Beer Float Pie for quite some time.
It's smooth and creamy with the flavor of a root beer float, what's not to love?
The fillings a simple root beer custard made from scratch poured into a graham cracker crust, frozen and then covered in sweetened whip cream with a cherry on top.
If that doesn't leave you salivating I don't know what will.
So when I saw this weeks #SundaySupper theme was backyard barbecues and potlucks I knew this was the perfect recipe to share.
Frozen Root Beer Float Pie is the perfect dessert on a hot day and fairly rich so a thin slice goes far.
We then paired it with Gallo Family Vineyards Pinot Grigio since it's a clean crisp wine perfect for a hot summer day or Gallo Family Vineyards Merlot as a delicious versatile red wine option.
We all know that root beer floats are an iconic summer time treat so this fun spin on a summertime favorite is sure to quickly become a cherished recipe.
In a large bowl combine 12 whole graham cracker crumbs and 1/4 cup sugar. Mix until well combined.
Press graham cracker mixture evenly across the bottom and up the sides of the pie plate.
I find a measuring cup works well for pressing the crumbs evenly into the bottom and sides.
Bake crust in a 375 degree oven for 7 minutes or until lightly brown.
In a large saucepan stir together 1/2 cup Sugar and 1/2 cup Flour until well combined.
Slowly pour in 2 1/2 cups Root Beer and 1/2 cup Milk while stirring to prevent lumps.
Bring to a simmer and stir until thickened.
Remove from heat.
Whisk together 4 whole Egg Yolks and add 1/2 cup thickened Root Beer Mixture while whisking to the egg yolks until 2 cups has been added.
Pour Egg Yolk/Root Beer Mixture into remaining Root Beer Mixture and return to a simmer while stirring. Return to heat and cook an additional 2-3 minutes until thickened.
Pour root beer pudding mixture into baked graham cracker crust and refrigerate until cold.
Then freeze for 6-12 hours for frozen or pie can be served chilled.
Cover with lightly sweetened whip cream and serve with a cherry on top!
Run a sharp knife under hot water and dry to make slicing easier.
A fun twist on a classic dessert!
A fun twist on a classic dessert!
Make sure to check out all the other amazing Backyard BBQ and Potluck Recipes on Gallo Family Vineyards Website for delicious ideas for your next gathering!
Frozen Root Beer Float Pie
Creamy Frozen Root Beer Float Pie will quickly become a summertime favorite!Prep time: PT20M
Cook time: PT7M
Total time: PT12H0M
Yield: 10 Servings
- 1 2/3 cup Graham Crackers, Crushed (about 12 whole crackers)
- 1/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup Butter, Melted
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup All-PurposeFlour
- 2 1/2 cups Root Beer
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 4 whole Egg Yolks, Whisked
- For Serving: Sweetenend Whip Cream And Maraschino Cherries
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl add graham cracker crumbs and 1/4 cup sugar, mix until well combined. Drizzle in melted butter and mix well. Press graham cracker mixture evenly into the bottom of a 9 inch pie plate. Bake for 7 minutes or until light brown, cool completely.
- In a large saucepan whisk together 1/2 cup sugar and flour until well combined. Slowly pour in root beer and milk to prevent lumps. Bring mixture to a simmer while stirring and cook until thickened. Remove from heat.
- Whisk 1/2 cup at a time of cooked root beer mixture into egg yolks until 2 cups of root beer mixture has been added.
- Stir egg yolk mixture into root beer mixture and return to a simmer. Cook for 2-3 minutes until thickened.
- Pour root beer mixture into baked graham cracker crust and refridgerate until cold.
- Freeze pie until frozen about 6-12 hours.
- Use a knife run under hot water and dried to slice pie. Serve with sweetenend whip cream and a cherry on top.
For more information on Gallo Family Vineyard Wines and menu pairing ideas please visit their website http://www.gallofamily.com/. For more information of store locations and purchase please click here. You can connect with The Gallo Family Of Wines on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.
- Buffalo Bread by Feed Me, Seymour
- Cilantro Lime Chicken Wings by Casa de Crews
- Creamy Asparagus Puffs by Brunch with Joy
- Bibimbap Bar by kimchi MOM
- Chicken Satay by Curious Cuisiniere
- Citrus Grilled Chicken Under a Brick by Nosh My Way
- Garlicky Sirloin Steak For A Crowd by Family Foodie
- Grilled Chicken Salad Sandwiches by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Grilled Mediterranean Salmon Burgers with Tzatziki by Simply Healthy Family
- Spicy Shrimp Lettuce Wraps by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Bacon Strawberry and Farro Salad by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Balsamic Blueberry Salad by Alida's Kitchen
- Caprese Pasta Salad by One Sweet Mess
- Grilled Rainbow Potato Salad by Shockingly Delicious
- Spicy Watermelon Salad by Ruffles & Truffles
- Tortellini Salad by Magnolia Days
- Coconut Shortcakes with Grilled Pineapple by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Frozen Root Beer Float Pie by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Grilled Peaches with Brioche by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- S'more Cookie Cups by Desserts Required
- 5 Tips for Using BBQ Sauce by Sunday Supper Movement