Praise the Lord it's Friday!
Are you ready for the weekend?
You should make these Sweet and Sour Meatballs this weekend and then be prepared to make them again next week because your family will be begging for more!
Trust me, I've already been down that road!
Just double up the meatball batch and freeze half the meatballs for later in the week!
I've had meatballs on my mind for the last week or two since the weathers started to cool a little.
I can't seem to stop thinking about all the ways I love meatballs so I decided it was time to share the recipe for these Sweet and Sour Meatballs!
I can't believe how many times I just said, "Meatballs!"
I was hoping to have enough leftovers to hide for lunch the next day but there was no such luck between Colt and the kids they were devoured.
The secret to these Sweet and Sour Meatballs is in the sauce.
After a lot of trial and error over the years I've developed the perfect balance of salty, sweet and sour.
Even Mas who proclaims to not eat cooked pineapple and was disappointed when he saw I hadn't set any aside had cleaned his plate without another peep.
If your short on time the meatballs can all be rolled ahead of time and frozen until ready to cook since they spend a little time in the freezer anyways to help maintain their shape while cooking.
The worst thing about these Sweet and Sour Meatballs maybe the fight at the dinner table for seconds!
In a large bowl combined 3/4 pound Lean Ground Beef, 3/4 pound Ground Pork, 1/2 cup Panko Bread Crumbs, 1 whole Egg, 2 cloves Minced Garlic, 1 tablespoon Soy Sauce, 1 tablespoon Toasted Sesame Seed Oil, and 1 teaspoon Granulated Garlic.
Mix together with hands until ingredients are evenly distributed.
If touching meat makes you squeamish use a pair of disposable gloves.
Roll 30 meatballs into two inch balls and place on parchment paper.
Freeze for 15 minutes or until ready to use.
This helps meatballs retain their shape while cooking.
For the Sweet and Sour Sauce mix together: 1/4 cup Ketchup, 2 tablespoons Brown Sugar and 2 tablespoons Cornstarch until well combined and smooth.
Then stir in 1/4 cup Natural Rice Vinegar, 1/4 cup Sweet Chili Sauce (I like Mae Ploy), 1 cup Beef Stock and 1 tablespoon Soy Sauce.
Mix together until smooth and well combined.
Add 1 tablespoon Olive Oil to a heavy duty skillet and heat over medium-high heat until hot.
Add meatballs and brown on all sides.
Drain off excessive grease leaving about a tablespoon of oil.
Stir in 1 whole Chopped Onion, 1 whole Chopped Green Bell Pepper, 1 whole Chopped Red Bell Pepper and 1 whole Fresh Pineapple Core Removed and Cubed.
Cook until onions start to soften.
Pour Sweet and Sour Sauce over veggies and gently stir to coat.
Cover pan and turn heat to medium-low cook for 15 minutes or until sauce is thickened and meatballs are thoroughly cooked.
Now tell me that's not saucy deliciousness!
Now if your house is anything like mine try to make sure you divide the meatballs evenly between the plates because after everyone takes a bite they'll start counting how many meatballs they have on their plate compared to the person next to them..
Garnish with fresh sliced Green Onions and serve with Rice.
Sweet and Sour Meatballs
Lightly seasoned meatballs cooked in a perfectly balanced sauce of salty, sweet and sour with onion, bell pepper and pineapple. Sweet and Sour Meatballs will quickly become a family favorite.Prep time: PT20M
Cook time: PT30M
Total time: PT50M
Yield: 6 Servings
- 3/4 pound Ground Beef
- 3/4 pound Ground Pork
- 1/2 cup Panko Bread Crumbs
- 1 whole Egg, Beaten
- 2 cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Toasted Sesame Seed Oil
- 1 teaspoon Granulated Garlic
- 1/4 cup Ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Cornstarch
- 1/4 cup Natural Rice Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Sweet Chili Sauce (I like Mae Ploy Brand)
- 1 cup Beef Stock
- 1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 whole Onion, Peeled and Chopped
- 1 whole Red Bell Pepper, Seeds Removed and Chopped
- 1 whole Green Bell Pepper, Seeds Removed and Chopped
- 1 whole Pineapple, Skin Removed, Cored and Diced
- For Serving: Rice and Sliced Green Onion
- For Meatballs: In a large bowl mix together ground beef, ground pork, panko bread crumbs, egg, garlic, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, sesame seed oil and granulated garlic until well combined.
- Roll 30 meatballs into approximately 2 inch balls and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Freeze meatballs for 15 minutes or until ready to use.
- For Sweet and Sour Sauce: In a medium sized bowl stir together ketchup, brown sugar and cornstarch until smooth and well combined. Then add rice vinegar, sweet chili sauce, beef stock and 1 tablespoon soy sauce. Whisk together until well combined.
- In a large skillet with a lid heat olive oil over medium-high heat until hot. Add meatballs and brown meatballs on all sides.
- Add onions, bell peppers and pineapple. Cook until onions start to soften.
- Pour sweet and sour sauce over veggies and gently stir to coat.
- Bring to a simmer, cover pan and turn heat to medium-low cook for 15 minutes or until sauce is thickened and meatballs are thoroughly cooked.
- Garnish with sliced green onions and serve with rice.