Posted by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch / Monday, August 8, 2016
The kids have been busy picking blackberries the last week, so I decided to surprise them with a Blackberry Crisp for all their hard work!
I usually will make Blackberry Cobbler, but I was in the mood for Crisp on this occasion with it's lemony, vanilla, almond crust, and a big scoop of vanilla ice cream! It's easy enough for even the kids to make, but tasty enough to serve to company with pride.
Blackberry Crisp is the ultimate summer dessert and the perfect way to celebrate the summer's bounty of berries!
In a mixing bowl fitted with a paddle attachment beat together 3/4 cup Granulated Sugar, 3/4 cup Brown Sugar, 2 teaspoons Grated Lemon Zest, and 1 teaspoon Vanilla until the sugar is infused with the aroma of lemon, about 3 minutes.
Add 1 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour, 1 cup Oatmeal, 1 cup Sliced Almonds or favorite nut, and 1/2 teaspoon Salt. Mix together until well combined.
Add 14 tablespoons Cold Butter, one tablespoon at a time until mixture is crumbly, and butter is no longer visible. Set aside.
In a large bowl gently mix together 8 cups Blackberries, 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar, 1/4 cup Brown Sugar, 1/3 cup All-Purpose Flour, and 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract, until well combined.
Place Blackberry mixture in a 9"x13" pan.
Press the Lemony Almond Crumb topping between fingers and distribute evenly over Blackberries.
Bake Blackberry Crisp in a 350 degree preheated oven for 1 hour or until lightly brown.
Serve Blackberry Crisp with a big scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream!
Recipe by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
Blackberry Crisp is easy enough for kids to make but tasty enough to serve to company with pride.Prep time: PT15M
Cook time: PT1H0M
Total time: PT1H15M
Yield: 12 Servings
- 3/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Lemon Zest
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour or Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1 cup Oatmeal
- 1 cup Sliced Almonds Or Favorite Nut (Optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 14 tablespoons Cold Butter, Cut Into Tablespoon Size Pieces
- 8 cups Blackberries
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/3 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment add 3/4 cup granulated sugar, 3/4 cup brown sugar, lemon zest, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat for about 3 minutes until sugar is infused with lemon and vanilla. Stir in 1 1/2 cups flour, oatmeal, almonds, and salt, until well combined. Add butter 1 tablespoon at a time until mixture is crumbly, and butter is no longer visible. Set crumb topping aside.
- In a large bowl stir together blackberries, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/3 cup flour, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, until well combined.
- Pour blackberry mixture into a 9"x13" pan. Press crumb topping between fingers and distribute evenly over the top of berries.
- Bake for 1 hour or until lightly brown.