Posted by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch / Sunday, October 9, 2016
One Skillet Cajun Chicken and Pasta
This post is sponsored by Foster Farms Simply Raised Chicken. Foster Farms is a product I feel confident using in my kitchen and has a quality I've come to trust. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Living in the Pacific Northwest there's been a shift towards new comfort foods, which to me means taking something you love and making it a little bit healthier by using fresh, locally sourced, antibiotic free ingredients.
Since one of our family favorite recipes is Cajun Chicken and Pasta, I decided to simplify it into a One Skillet Cajun Chicken and Pasta that is done in under 25 minutes. I used as much local products as I could to transform this family favorite into a new comfort food perfect for a quick meal on a busy weeknight or easy dinner for company.
The base of One Skillet Cajun Chicken and Pasta started out with Foster Farms Simply Raised Chicken which is locally grown with no antibiotics ever and 100 percent vegetarian fed, making it the perfect foundation for this dish. By using the starch in the pasta as a thickener for the sauce it reduced additional calories by not having to add flour. I also used half and half over traditional heavy cream to lighten the dish. If that wasn't good enough, this dish only requires one pot to make, keeping dishes to a minimum!
This dish starts out with about 1 pound Foster Farms Simply Raised Chicken Breast Fillets, since it's a premium ingredient that I can feel confident in feeding my family, cut into bite sized cubes.
Heat 2 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil over medium-high heat, in a heavy duty deep skillet or pot with a tight fitting lid. Add 1/2 a large Onion Sliced Thin. Cook until beginning to soften.
Add 8 ounces Sliced Andouille Smoked Sausage. I chose an Andouille Smoked Sausage from a local meat shop we love. Cook until sausage starts to brown.
Stir in Cubed Chicken Breast, 1 whole Sliced Red Bell Pepper, 1/8 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper or more to taste, 1/2 teaspoon Rosemary, 1/2 teaspoon Thyme, 1/2 teaspoon Oregano, 1/2 teaspoon Smoked Paprika, and 1/2 teaspoon Salt. Stir until chicken starts to cook.
Stir in 16 ounces Dried Linguine Broken In Half, 4 cups Chicken Stock, and 1 cup Half and Half or Whole Milk. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat, stir if needed to prevent noodles from sticking, cover, and cook for 14 minutes or until pasta is tender.
Stir pasta well. If needed boil for 1 minute to thicken if using milk.
Stir in 1 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese until melted.
New Comfort Food isn't just a special occasion meal, but a lifestyle choice. One Skillet Cajun Chicken and Pasta takes a classic comfort food dish, simplifies it, lightens it, and makes it perfect for any night of the week!
One Skillet Cajun Chicken and Pasta will quickly become a hit in the weekly dinner rotation with its ease to make and fresh ingredients.
One Skillet Cajun Chicken and Pasta
Recipe by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
One Skillet Cajun Chicken and Pasta takes a classic comfort food dish, simplifies and lightens it for an easy dinner any night of the week.Prep time: PT10M
Cook time: PT14M
Total time: PT24M
Yield: 6 Servings
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 whole Onion, Sliced Thin
- 8 ounces Smoked Andouille Sausage, Sliced
- 1 pound Foster Farms Simply Raised Chicken Breast, Cubed
- 1 whole Red Bell Pepper, Seeded and Sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper Or To Taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Dried Rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 16 ounces Dried Linguine, Broken In Half (For Gluten Free use Brown Rice Noodles)
- 4 cups Chicken Stock
- 1 cup Half and Half or Whole Milk
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese
- In a deep skillet or pot with tight fitting lid add olive oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add onions and stir until starting to soften. Stir in sausage and cook until starting to brown.
- Stir in chicken, bell pepper, herbs, spices, and salt. Stir until chicken starts to cook.
- Mix in pasta, chicken stock, and half and half. Bring to a simmer, stir, and cover. Reduce heat to low and cook for 14 minutes or until pasta is tender. Remove lid and cook for an additional 1 minute if needed to thicken sauce.
- Remove from heat and stir parmesan cheese. Stir until cheese is melted.
This is a sponsored post written by Serena on behalf of Foster Farms Simply Raised Chicken.