I've been on a roll lately making some of our family favorite recipes and updating pictures!
Caramely Apple Pie With Crunch Topping was long over due for a new pic.
It's a family favorite and a staple at Thanksgiving and Christmas.
This pie never lasts long and I almost always make 2 but you can easily cut the recipe in half if you aren't feeding a small basketball team like our house.
I usually hide a piece or two to enjoy for breakfast the next morning.
I'm just a bit naughty like that sometimes!
*Original posted 10/21/11*
Oh.. My.. Apple Pie! I guarantee you will love this pie!
There is nothing better in the world then apple pie! I firmly believe this! It's one of those things that you have for dessert and then breakfast! I know naughty! But oh so good! I LOVE APPLE PIE! Mouth watering delicious! I love a good amount of cinnamon in my pie, if you like less feel free to decrease the amount. I also like a little tartness to my filling and use a granny smith most of the time. The apples above in the picture came in my box of good from Klesick Family Farms and are Pinova! They are super yummy and also make a delicious pie, however I decided at the last minute to use organic granny smith on sale and save my voluptuous Pinova's to eat plain for now!
The main character of the show! Granny smith apples! Peel, core and slice into slices.
Toss apples with brown sugar, flour and cinnamon of course!
In a mixing bowl fitted the paddle attachment mix all dry ingredients for the topping!
Add butter 1 tablespoon at a time while the mixer blends on 4 or medium low ( if it's not a kitchen aid).
Dump apples evenly between 2 prepared pie crusts.
Hello crumb topping! Come to Mama!
Spread both pies with crumb topping split evenly. Then gently press down the topping just enough so it ad hears to it's self but it still has texture. Just be very light and you'll be fine!
Allow pie to cool for 1-2 hours before serving. Enjoy plain or with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Caramely Apple Pie With Crumb Topping
Caramel Apple Pie With Crunchy Topping. Apple pie filled with tart apples, brown sugar and cinnamon. Then topped with a sweet crumb topping.Prep time: PT25M
Cook time: PT50M
Total time: PT1H15M
Yield: 2 Pies
- 2 whole 9" Pie Crusts
- 10 whole Apples, Peeled, Cored and Sliced, (I used Granny Smith but feel free to use Pinova or any other firm baking apples with a nice flavor.)
- 1 cup Brown Sugar (1 1/2 cups for sweeter pie.)
- 1/3 cup Flour
- 2 tablespoons Cinnamon
- 1 cup Flour (I used 1/2 organic unbleached white and 1/2 whole wheat pastry)
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cups Oatmeal
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons Butter, Sliced Into 1 Tablespoon Pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix all ingredients together for the filling and spread evenly between 2 pie crusts.
- For Crumb Topping: place all the dry ingredients into a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix on stir for about 45 seconds until all dry ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
- Add butter 1 tablespoon at a time while mixing on medium low, until all butter is incorporated and the mixture looks crumbly.
- Split crumb topping evenly between the 2 pies and lightly press down, just so the crumbs ad hear but do not smoosh the pie, it helps keep the topping light when eaten.
- Place the pie's into the preheated oven and cook for 50-60 minutes.
- Pies are done when crust is golden and the apples are soft yet firm when pierced with a knife.
- Cool for a minimum of 1 hour to allow pies to set.