Posted by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch / Friday, March 30, 2012
Fresh Pineapple Upside Down Cake From Scratch
In celebration of my new web address http://www.serenabakessimplyfromscratch.com/! I made a pineapple upside down cake! Is there anything like pineapple and caramalley goodness topped with cake? There couldn't possibly be! I have been perfecting this for a while and oh my is it good! The cake is moist with a nice crumb! Truth be told I could eat the ring all the way around the outside, then the pineapples and cake. I love the way the caramel and cake come together with the flavor of pineapple and create a little crunch along the edge..
This would have been posted earlier in the week but I was in a total state of melt down as I was playing around with the design of the blog when some how I managed to delete my template and anything that kept my blog functioning! After 2 days of stressing, worrying and slaving I think I have it back to operational, there are still somethings I could improve but hopefully it works well for now! Please let me know if you notice any kinks I can try to resolve! I thought I was even smart and backed up my template but for some reason it had an error I couldn't resolve so I had a total overhaul! I am just so thankful to be back to share this wonderful cake recipe with all of you and celebrate the new blog space!
Remove the skin off the pineapple and the core.
Slice in half and then slice each half into 1/2" thick slices.
Place 1/4 of the pineapple into a blender or food processor.
Puree the pineapple until smooth.
Beat cold butter and sugar on medium until light and fluffy. Add eggs and beat until combined over medium.
Add baking powder, salt, pineapple puree and vanilla beat until light and fluffy.
Add all of the flour and mix on low until just barely combined. You should still see flour.
Add milk and mix until combined.
For bottom of pan: In a heavy duty skillet mix butter and brown sugar together and cook over medium. Stir to combined.
Stir and cook over medium heat until the sugar and butter become smooth.
Pour caramel mixture into the bottom of a 9" by 2" deep cake pan that was greased with butter well. Place pineapple on top of caramel.
Top caramel/pineapple mixture with cake batter and place into 350 degree preheated oven for 45 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
Allow to cool for about 4 minutes before inverting onto a cake stand or plate. If cake sits too long it will not release from the pan. Too short of a time and the caramel will run off the edge of the cake. I find 4 minutes is just right.
Serve warm or at room temperature with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Pineapple Upside Cake From Scratch
Recipe by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
Pineapple Upside Down Cake recipe from scratch using fresh pineapple.Prep time: PT20M
Cook time: PT45M
Total time: PT1H5M
Yield: 1 9" Cake
For Cake Batter:
- 1 1/2 cups Whole Wheat Pastry Flour Or All Purpose Flour
- 6 tablespoons Butter, Cold Sliced 1 Tablespoon Pieces
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 whole Eggs
- 2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/2 cup Pineapple Puree ( Place remaining 1/4 Whole Fresh Pineapple into Blender Or Food Processor and Process Until smooth, Measure)
- 2 tablespoons Milk
For Pineapple Caramel Topping:
- 3/4 whole Fresh Pineapple, Core Removed And Sliced Into 1/2" Thick Slices
- 7 tablespoons Butter
- 3/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Brown Sugar
- For Cake Batter: Preheat oven to 350 degree's. Heavily butter a 9" by 2" deep cake pan. Set pan aside.
- In a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment add butter and both sugars, beat on medium until light and fluffy. Add eggs and mix to combined. Add vanilla, pineapple puree, baking powder and sea salt, beat on medium until light and fluffy. Add all of the flour and mix until just barely combined on low ( you should still see flour). Add the milk and mix until fully combined. Set aside.
- For Pineapple Caramel Topping: In a heavy duty pan add butter and brown sugar. Stir to combined and cook over medium heat, stirring until sugar becomes smooth.
- Pour hot sugar mixture into well buttered pan. Top with pineapple slices. Cover with cake batter and place into preheated oven.
- Cook for 45 minutes or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool 4 minutes in pan before inverting onto a cake plate.
- Enjoy warm or at room temperature with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.