Writing this post is like pure torcher.
I was only able to enjoy one slice yesterday morning for breakfast plus or minus a few bites off of Colt's if he happened to sit down next to me Sunday night.
Surely I was shorted my fill of Cherry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake.
When I left Monday afternoon there was about 1/4 of the cake left but Lorna polished that off the minute we walked out the door and then pretended it was an itty bitty piece when her brother's complained she didn't share.
It was like food wars in our house and somehow I always end up loosing.
I might have to make another one just to subdue the cravings of the creamy cream cheese meets cherry filling all wrapped up in a nice cozy lemon and vanilla scented cake then topped with a vanilla scented crunchy, sugary, almond topping.
Oh so good!
If your looking for something to take to your next holiday gathering this is the perfect choice.
It make's a fabulous breakfast or brunch item because the cakes not too sweet or dense but the perfect texture to pair with the cream cheese and cherries, a fabulous dessert choice for a dinner party or just a special treat!
Sorry to repeat myself but it was sooo delicious!
This recipe was shared over at Cherished Bliss Moonlight and Mason Jars.
Combine pure vanilla extract and sugar and stir well.
Your sugar should look and smell amazing coated in vanilla.
Add sliced almonds and stir well. Set aside.
Cream butter, sugar and lemon zest until light and fluffy.
Add eggs one at a time beating well between each addition and scraping sides of bowl as needed.
This helps to create a nice light cake.
Add vanilla, baking soda, baking powder and sea salt. Mix until well combined.
I hate sifting flour so this makes it so the baking soda and powder are evenly combined without having to sift everything together.
Add all of the flour and sour cream and mix on low speed just until combined.
Be careful not to over mix or the flour will develop to much gluten resulting in a tough cake.
Once mixed measure 1 1/2 cups cake batter and set aside.
Combine cream cheese, lemon juice, vanilla and 2 tablespoons sugar.
Mix until smooth and creamy.
Butter a tube pan well and then add remaining cake batter to pan.
Top with cream cheese mixture, leaving a 3/4"-1" gap around outside and inside of pan.
Spoon 1 cup cherry pie filling evenly over the top of cream cheese. Try to keep a 3/4"-1" gap around the inside and outside of pan so the top layer of cake can seal the filling in around the edges.
Cover with remaining 1 1/2 cups cake batter. Tap a few times on the counter to dislodge any air bubbles.
Top cake evenly with vanilla scented sugar/sliced almond mixture. Gently press almond mixture into cake to adhere.
Bake in a 350 degree preheated oven for 45-50 minutes. Cake is done when it is firm, light brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of cake comes out clean.
Cool cake in pan 1 hour.
Using a thin knife gently trace around outside and inside edge of cake to help loosen edge.
Invert cake gently onto a plate.
Remove from pan and allow cake to finish cooling on a wire rack.
Oh what I would do for just one more slice.
Oh so good..
I'm off to locate a pair of expandable waist pants and hit the treadmill to hide the effects of the holidays and all the baking that's been happening in our house!
Thank the lord for whoever invented yoga pants!
Cherry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
Cherry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake. Light cake filled with creamy lemon infused cream cheese topped with cherry filling and hidden in a lemon vanilla scented cake with a crunchy vanilla scented sugar and sliced almond topping. So good and easy to make.Prep time: PT25M
Cook time: PT50M
Total time: PT1H15M
Yield: 12 Servings
Vanilla Scented Sugar Almond Topping:
- 1/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup Sliced Almonds
- 18 Tablespoons Butter, Cold
- 1 1/4 Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Lemon Zest
- 4 whole Eggs
- 1 tablespoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/4 teaspoons Baking Soda
- 1 1/4 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 2 1/4 cups All-Purpous Flour or Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1 1/3 cup Sour Cream
Cherry Cream Cheese Filling:
- 8 Ounces Cream Cheese, Softened
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 3 teaspoons Fresh Lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup Cherry Pie Filling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 10 inch tub pan well with butter or shortening. Set aside.
- Vanilla Scented Sugar Almond Topping: In a small bowl combine sugar and vanilla and mix until well combined. Add sliced almonds, stir well and set aside.
- Coffee Cake: In a large bowl cream butter, sugar and lemon zest until light and fluffy. Scrape sides of bowl.
- Add eggs one at a time beating throughly between each addition.
- Add vanilla, baking soda, baking powder and sea salt. Mix on low speed until throughly incorporated.
- Add flour and sour cream mix on low speed until just combined being careful not to over mix.
- Set 1 1/2 cups batter aside.
- Place remaining batter into greased tube pan.
- Cream Cheese Filling: Mix cream cheese, vanilla, lemon juice and 2 tablespoons sugar until well combined, creamy and smooth.
- Spoon cream cheese mixture evenly over the center of cake batter leaving a 3/4 inch to 1 inch gap around the inside and out side edge of pan.
- Spoon cherry pie filling evenly over the top of cream cheese layer still leaving a 3/4 inch to 1 inch gap around the edge to allow the cake to seal closed when baked.
- Spread remaining 1 1/2 cup cake batter over the top of cake. Spread all the way to edge to seal. Tap pan gently 3 times to dislodge any air bubbles.
- Sprinkle Vanilla Scented Sugar Almond mixture evenly over the top of coffee cake and press down gently to adhere to cake.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until coffee cake is lightly brown, firm to the touch and when a tooth pick inserted into the center of cake comes out without cake batter adhering to it.
- Cool cake in pan for 1 hour.
- Carefully run a thin knife around the edge and center of cake to loosen. Invert cake gently onto plate.
- Remove cake from pan and finish cooling on a cooling rack.