Posted by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch / Tuesday, January 28, 2014
Soft Pretzel Bites With Step By Step Photos
We are so stoked the Seahawks are going to the Superbowl!
This is a huge deal in the Northwest because it's only the second time in franchise history.
One of our game day favorites are Pretzel Bites they are so easy to make, chewy and amazing dipped in a little Homemade Nacho Cheese Sauce.
Dear lord have mercy on my thighs!
I can't wait for Superbowl not only because my team will be playing but it's a smorgasborg of all the finger foods my heart could desire.
These Pretzel Bites will keep the crowds at bay whether your rooting for the Seahawks or Broncos, a game day must make!
Homemade Nacho Cheese Sauce will follow tomorrow!
In a mixer fitted with a dough hook combine warm water no hotter then 110 degrees, honey and dry yeast.
Allow it to sit until yeast becomes foamy about 5-8 minutes.
Add 3 tablespoons melted butter and 3 cups flour.
Knead until combined. Cover dough and allow to rest for 15 minutes for yeast to develop.
Add remaining 4 1/2 cups flour and course sea salt.
Knead on medium speed until firm and smooth about 5-7 minutes.
Place dough in a well grease bowl and cover.
Allow dough to rise until doubled in size about 1 hour.
Cut dough into 8 equal sized pieces.
Roll each piece into a 20" long rope. Cut rope every 1". Repeat with remaining dough.
At this point allow dough to rest for 20 minutes and rise or place in refrigerator to finish later.
If refrigerated, remove from refrigerator 40 minutes before boiling in baking soda bath.
Add egg and 1 tablespoon water to a small bowl.
Whisk until well combined
In a large pot bring 10 cups water to a boil. Add 2/3 cup baking soda.
Add about 8-10 pretzel bites at a time to the boil water. Allow to boil for about 30 seconds and remove with a slotted spoon to a parchment lined baking sheet.
Brush each Pretzel Bite with egg wash and sprinkle generously with course sea salt.
Bake in a 425 degree oven for 12-18 minutes or until lightly brown on the outside.
These are delicious plain or with a little melted butter brushed over the top and amazing with a little Homemade Nacho Cheese Dip!
I love the little bites because it prevents double dipping!
Recipe by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
Soft pretzel bites with step by step instructions with pictures. So easy to make and perfect for Superbowl!Prep time: PT30M
Cook time: PT18M
Total time: PT1H45M
Yield: 15 Servings
- 1 1/2 cups Warm Water, (Under 110 degrees)
- 1 tablespoons Honey
- 2 1/4 teaspoons Dry Yeast
- 3 Tablespoons Butter, Melted
- 4 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Sea Salt
- 10 cups Water
- 2/3 cups Baking Soda
- 1 whole Egg, Beaten with 1 tablespoon Water
- Course Sea Salt
- In a mixer fitted with a bread hook add warm water, honey and yeast. Stir until yeast and honey are dissolved. Allow mixture to sit for 5-8 minutes until yeast is activated and becomes foamy.
- Add melted butter and 3 cups of flour. Knead until combined. Cover and allow to rest for 15 minutes before adding salt and remaining flour.
- Add remaining 1 1/2 cups flour and 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt. Knead on medium speed for 5-7 minutes until firm and smooth.
- Grease a large bowl well. Add dough and allow to rise until doubled in size. About 1 hour.
- Remove dough to a work surface and cut dough into 8 equal sized pieces.
- Roll each piece or dough into a 20" long rope. Cut each role in 1" increments.
- Place cut dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet and allow to rest of 20 minutes to rise or place in the refrigerator to finish later. If refrigerated allow to come to room temperature about 40 minutes before boiling and baking.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Bring 10 cups water to a boil in a large pot. Add baking soda and stir until dissolved.
- Reduce heat to simmer.
- Add dough pieces about 8-10 pieces at a time. Boil for about 30 seconds until puffy. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Remove to a parchment lined baking sheet and brush with egg wash. Sprinkle generously with course salt.
- Bake for 12-18 minutes until lightly browned.