Posted by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch / Tuesday, April 29, 2014
Brown Butter Blondies
A brown butter blondie is thick and chewy like a brownie but taste like a chocolate chip cookie. Does life get any better?
Last week I was in charge of dessert at our Life Group and I knew something chocolaty was in order.
I was going to make a batch of Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies but I wasn't in the mood to scoop cookies so I decided Brown Butter Blondies were it.
I love blondies because they are like a brownie but blonde with the flavor of brown sugar and vanilla with a crispy edge and soft gooey center.
What's not to love?
I actually had to make a second pan of these because we devoured them before I was able to have Colt take a photo.
Let me tell you Colt and the kids were very disappointed I made a second pan for them to enjoy.
The minute the kids walked through the door they headed straight to the pan of Blondies and started begging for a square.
I also believe Colt may have eaten over half of the blondies out of the center before taking a picture because somehow only 3 center bars remained...
I'm still trying to figure that one out.
Butter a 9"x13" pan, lining it with parchment paper and butter the parchment paper makes these super easy to remove when baked.
If you don't have parchment paper just butter your pan well.
In a small skillet brown 1 cup of butter, swirling pan as needed to promote even browning. Add browed butter to mixing bowl and add remaining 1/4 cup cold butter. Mix on low speed until butter is melted.
Add 3/4 cup Granulated Sugar, 1 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1 tablespoon Vanilla and 3/4 teaspoon Sea Salt. Using a whisk attachment beat mixture until sugar is dissolved.
Note: I made this recipe with both a beater and a whisk attachment and found the whisk attachment left the blondies with a better texture.
Beat 2 whole eggs and 2 egg yolks together. Add egg mixture to butter/sugar mixture and beat on high speed for 30 seconds. Allow mixture to rest for 3 minutes.
Repeat mixing for 30 seconds and resting for 3 minutes until batter become thick and yellow.
Add 3/4 teaspoons baking soda and beat on high speed another 30 seconds. Allow mixture to rest 3 minutes.
On low mix in 2 3/4 cups all-purpose or whole wheat pastry flour until combined. Add chocolate chips and stir until well incorporated.
Spread evenly in prepared baking pan.
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 27-30 minutes or until lightly brown on the edges but still a little loose in the middle.
Remove from pan and slice into desired serving sizes.
These are great with a glass of milk or a large scoop of ice cream.
Oh my gosh is it bad I'm already ready to make a 3rd pan?
Brown Butter Blondies
Recipe by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
Blondies are a like a blonde brownie. The brown butter and chocolate chips make these incredible!Prep time: PT15M
Cook time: PT30M
Total time: PT45M
Yield: 16 Servings
- 1 1/4 cups Cold Butter Plus More For Greasing Pan
- 3/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla
- 3/4 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 2 whole Eggs
- 2 whole Egg Yolks
- 3/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 2 3/4 cup All-Purpose or Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 2 1/2 cups Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 9"x13" pan and line with parchment paper. Butter parchment paper well with butter and set aside. If you don't have parchment available butter pan well.
- In a small saucepan cook 1 cup butter until brown and nutty smelling. Swirl pan as needed to encourage even browning of butter.
- Add butter to a mixing bowl and add remaining 1/4 cup butter cut into 1 tablespoon sized pieces. Mix until butter is melted.
- Add both sugars, vanilla and salt. Using a whisk attachment beat until blended.
- Beat together eggs and egg yolks. Slowly pour egg mixture into sugar mixture. Beat on high speed for 30 seconds. Allow mixture to rest for 3 minutes.
- Repeat beating mixture for 30 seconds and resting for 3 minutes until mixture becomes thick and pale.
- Add baking soda and mix for 30 seconds on high. Scrape down the sides of bowl. Allow mixture to rest 3 minutes.
- Add flour and mix on low speed until combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips and spread evenly in prepared pan.
- Bake 27-30 minutes or until lightly browned along the edges but still a little loose in the middle.
- Allow blondies to cool before removing from pan and slicing.