A sweet and chocolaty cake with a hot fudge sauce made in the crock pot.
We usually go out someplace and make a big night of our anniversary or weekend but this year we spent the actual night at home eating dinner and dessert with the kids and then snuggled on the couch to watch Thursday night football.
After 15 years and 3 kids we've gotten to the point that it doesn't matter what we do so much as we are spending time together and having fun.
Plus we had the previous weekend alone.
When you have kids having the house to yourself for a night or two is like a dream come true!
And since we were celebrating we had to have dessert, otherwise it's not really a celebration.
So I decided to make a Crock Pot Hot Fudge Cake with Lorna's help since I was having a massive chocolate craving and it's super simple to put together.
It's a sweet chocolaty cake that floats to the top over a layer of fudgy sauce.
It definitely requires a scoop of ice cream to round out the richness and it's great for company since it's made ahead of time and requires very little supervision.
Butter the inside of a 4.5qt to 5.5 qt Crock Pot.
In a large mixing bowl stir together 2 cups Flour, 1 cup Sugar, 1/3 cup Natural Unsweetened Cocoa Powder, 1 tablespoon Baking Powder, 1 teaspoon Sea Salt, 1 cup Chopped Nuts (optional) and 2/3 cup Chocolate Chips.
Add 1/4 cup Melted Butter and 1 teaspoon Vanilla.
Add 1 cup Milk and stir until well combined.
Spread mixture over the bottom of buttered Crock Pot.
In a medium sized bowl combine 3/4 cup Brown Sugar, 1/2 cup Natural Unsweetened Cocoa Powder and 1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt. Mix until well combined.
Then I added 1/3 cup Creme De Cocoa that could be substituted with coffee instead.
I just happened to have it leftover from make Grasshopper Pie and knew it would help intensify the fudge sauce.
Add 2 2/3 cup Hot Coffee and 1 teaspoon Vanilla.
Mix until sugar and cocoa are well dissolved.
Gently pour liquid mixture over cake mixture and set Crock Pot to High for 2 hours 30 minutes.
Cake will look done on top but will have a thin fudgy sauce underneath.
Turn off heat and allow cake to rest for 45 minutes to 1 hour for sauce to thicken and cake to cool.
Serve cake with a large scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream and drizzle generously with hot fudge sauce.
The perfect cure for chocolate cravings!
Crock Pot Hot Fudge Cake
An easy to make Crock Pot Chocolate Cake with Hot Fudge Sauce. Sweet, chocolaty and delicious. Perfect for any occasion!Prep time: PT10M
Cook time: PT2H30M
Total time: PT4H30M
Yield: 8 Servings
For Cake Layer:
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour Or Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/3 cup Cocoa Powder, Natural Unsweetened
- 1 tablespoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 cup Nuts, Chopped (Optional)
- 2/3 cup Chocolate Chips
- 1/4 cup Butter, Melted
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
For Hot Fudge Layer:
- 3/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Cocoa Powder, Natural Unsweetened
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/3 cup Creme De Cocoa or Hot Coffee
- 2 2/3 cup Hot Coffee
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- Vanilla Ice Cream For Serving
- Grease a 4.5 qt to 5.5 qt Crock Pot with butter and set aside.
- For Cake Layer: In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, sea salt, nuts if using and chocolate chips. Stir in melted butter, milk and vanilla until well combined.
- Spread cake layer evenly over the bottom of crock pot.
- For Hot Fudge Layer: In a medium sized bowl combine brown sugar, cocoa powder and sea salt. Add creme de menthe, hot coffee and vanilla. Stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Pour hot fudge layer carefully over cake layer. Set crock pot to High for 2 hours 30 minutes. Turn off heat and allow cake to rest for 45 minutes to 1 hour for hot fudge sauce to thicken.
- Serve cake with vanilla ice cream and drizzle generously with hot fudge sauce.