Posted by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch / Saturday, December 20, 2014
Hearty Beef Stew
An easy to make Hearty Beef Stew perfect for the cooler weather.
Oh the weather outside is frightful but this stew is so delightful.. Since there's no place to go let it snow...Let it snow...Let it snow!
In my dream world I would make a huge pot of Hearty Beef Stew and we would be snowed in with sledding, stew and hot cocoa with a fire but we live in Washington so we rarely become snowed in.
Well except the year Colt and I decided to deliver newspapers for some extra cash for Christmas, of course that was the worst snow fall in the history of our existence. I will never not tip the delivery person again.
We started the week of Black Friday and let me tell you that was an experience in it's self just bundling the papers let alone me driving while Colt tossed them out the window while trying to find addresses in the dark and we had to pick up 2 loads in our mini van just to be able to fit all the newspapers.
The following weeks were filled with feet of snow and papers stacked around our kids (they were all small at the time so they slept while we delivered) and some nights they would have production problems and the newspapers wouldn't arrive until 3 or 4am in the morning and you would be stuck waiting until they arrived. Definitely one of the crazier things we've done.
Anyways back to this Hearty Beef Stew....We've been enjoying this in our regular dinner rotation the last month or two. It's easy to make, full of flavor and perfect yucky weather comfort food.
I love the look and taste of pearl onions and small multi colored potatoes in this stew but when in a pinch I quarter small onions and dice a few potatoes instead. Sometimes running to the store just isn't practical. I used fresh sage, rosemary and thyme off my plant growing in the kitchen but these too can easily be substituted with dried herbs. I find the earthy tones of sage really makes this a big old bowl of comfort perfect for these dark days of winter.
In a large pot over medium-high heat add 1 tablespoon Butter and 1 tablespoon Olive Oil.
Add 12 ounces Peeled Pearl Onions and saute until lightly brown on both sides, remove to a large bowl.
Add 1 1/2 lbs Carrots Peeled and Sliced and cook until lightly brown on both sides.
Stir in 4 Cloves Minced Garlic, 1 tablespoon Fresh Chopped Sage, 1 tablespoon Fresh Chopped Rosemary and 1 Tablespoon Fresh Thyme. Cook until garlic is softened and fragrant.
Add carrots to bowl with onions and set aside.
Toss 2 lbs of Beef Stew Meat with 1 teaspoon Sea Salt, 1 teaspoon Ground Pepper and 2/3 cup All-Purpose Flour until evenly coated. Add an additional 2 tablespoons Butter and 2 tablespoons Olive Oil. Add flour coated stew meat and brown on both sides. If needed add an additional 1-2 tablespoons butter or olive oil.
Once browned slowly stir in 4 cups Beef Broth to make gravy.
Add 2 lbs Baby Potatoes or Largely Cubed Regular Potatoes, 10 Mushrooms Sliced, 4 Stalks Chopped Celery and cooked Onions and Carrots. Stir until well combined and cover. Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to low. Cook for 4-6 hours until meat is tender.
I strongly suggest serving with these Crusty French Bread Dinner Rolls , you can thank me later!
Hearty Beef Stew
Recipe by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
An easy to make Hearty Beef Stew perfect for the cooler weather.Prep time: PT20M
Cook time: PT6H0M
Total time: PT6H20M
Yield: 6 Servings
- 1/4 cup Butter, Possible A Tablespoon Or Two More
- 3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 pounds Beef Stew Meat
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper, Ground
- 2/3 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 12 ounces Pearl Onions, Peeled
- 1 1/2 pounds Carrots, Peeled and Sliced
- 4 cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Sage, Chopped
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Rosemary
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Thyme
- 2 pounds Baby Potatoes Or Largely Cubed Regular Potatoes
- 10 whole Mushrooms, Washed and Sliced
- 4 stalks Celery, Chopped
- 4 cups Beef Broth
- Toss beef stew meat with sea salt, pepper and flour until well coated and set aside.
- In a large deep pot over medium-high heat add 1 tablespoon of butter and olive oil. Melt butter and add onions. Cook until onions are lightly brown and move to a large bowl and set aside.
- Add carrots to pan and brown on both sides. Add garlic, sage, rosemary and thyme, cook until garlic is softened and fragrant. Add to bowl with onions and set aside.
- Add an additional 2 tablespoons of butter and olive oil to pan plus additional if needed and add flour coated stew meat. Brown on both sides watching carefully not to burn.
- Slowly stir in beef broth while scraping the bottom of the pan.
- Add potatoes, mushrooms, celery, onions and carrots.
- Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to low. Cook for 4-6 hours until meat is tender.