This is the top requested meal or side dish in our house and since I thought it's been awhile since I originally shared the recipe it would be a great time to update the picture.
There's just something about creamy cheese sauce smothered over pasta and broccoli that always elicits fond childhood memories and brings such comfort to my heart.
My Granny would have never thought, let alone allowed a box of macaroni and cheese to enter our house.
It was simply from scratch all the way.
This recipe is very similar to what she would make but my lovely cousin Melissa recently let me know Granny would add a pinch of turmeric, I'm not sure if this was for taste but I am going to assume it was for the lovely yellow color of the turmeric.
I usually make this recipe with pasta shells but they were missing from the pantry on this occasion so macaroni had to suffice.
Feel free to use what pasta you have available.
Anything in cheese sauce always is a favorite in our house!
Well we are missing a few pictures but I will try to fill in the blanks for you! First cook pasta in boiling salted water for the time specified on the side of the box for al dente. 2 minutes before the pasta is done cooking throw the broccoli in with the pasta. Once pasta is cooked drain pasta and broccoli, set aside. In the pot the pasta came out of add butter and flour and whisk until flour is cooked over medium heat, about 30-45 seconds.
Slowly add milk while stirring.
Add salt and pepper and cook until thickened and bubbly over medium heat. Turn heat to low and stir in cheese. Once cheese is melted add pasta/ broccoli mixtures and stir until combined. Enjoy!
Creamy Macaroni And Cheese With Broccoli
Creamy Macaroni And Cheese With Broccoli. A quick easy dinner perfect for a meatless Monday.Prep time: PT5M
Cook time: PT15M
Total time: PT20M
Yield: 4 servings
- 16 ounces Pasta, Shells Or Large Macaroni Work Best
- 4 cups Broccoli, Chopped (Optional)
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 2 tablespoons Flour
- 1 pinch Sea Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper Or To Taste
- 1 2/3 cup Milk
- 2 cups Medium or Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Shredded
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt well. Cook pasta according to instructions on side of package for al dente. 2 minutes before pasta is done add the broccoli to the pasta.
- Once pasta is cooked to al dente, drain the pasta and the broccoli. Set aside.
- In the same pot the pasta came from add butter and flour. Stir together over medium heat.
- Cook for about 35-45 seconds, until flour is cooked.
- Slowly stir in milk.
- Add salt and pepper and cook until thickened and bubbly.
- Turn heat to low and add cheese. Once cheese in melted stir in pasta/broccoli mixture and remove from heat.
- Serve immediately.