I scream, you scream, we all scream for caramel ice cream with caramel swirl. Please pass the spoon.
Ice cream is an easy way to the hubby's heart, it speaks his love language. The kids love to help make ice cream and it is so super easy. A double win, win! I love homemade ice cream simply because I know what is in it and there is no added chemicals to maintain freshness and it simply tastes better. I am sure you all will have to tolerate my little ice cream fetish for awhile longer, I don't feel fulfilled yet... I'm sure there will be many more flavors to come over the summer.
Pour cream and milk in to large sauce pan and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
In a heat proof container mix eggs and sugar.
Stir simmering milk into egg yolks a 1/4 cup at a time, stirring constantly until 2 cups cream has been added. Stir milk/egg yolk mixture back into the saucepan. Return to a simmer over medium heat. Cook about 2 minutes until slightly thickened. Remove from heat.
Stir in caramel sauce until dissolved.
Add vanilla and refrigerate until cold or place in the freezer to cool faster for about 1-1 1/2 hours. If using the freezer option please watch closely so it doesn't freeze.
Place cooled custard into an ice cream maker and process according to manufacturers directions for 20 minutes. Then drizzle in caramel.
Or if looking for larger caramel swirls stir in by hand. Place ice cream into a freezer proof container. (I use a old yogurt container. Freeze for 2 hours minimum and 5 hours for a nice hard ice cream.
If you have one of these munchkins around your house you can let them clean the beaters to save on dishes. Ha..Ha.. Just kidding I still had to wash it when he was done!
Scoop and enjoy!
Caramel Ice Cream With Caramel Swirl
Caramel Ice Cream With Caramel SwirlPrep time: PT5M
Cook time: PT10M
Total time: PT5H15M
Yield: 1 1/2 Quarts
Calories per serving: 320Ingredients
Fat per serving: 25
Fat per serving: 25
- 2 cups Heavy Cream
- 2 cups Whole Milk
- 1/4 cup Whole Milk
- 3 whole Egg Yolks
- 1/2 cup Caramel Sauce
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 cup Caramel Sauce For Swirl
- In a large sauce pan heat cream and milk over medium heat. Bring to a simmer.
- In a heat proof bowl add sugar and egg yolks. Stir until combined. Stir a 1/4 cup at a time simmering milk into the egg/sugar mixture to temper, stirring constantly until a total of 2 cups milk/cream has been stirred in. While stirring add egg/cream mixture back into the simmering cream. Return to a simmer. Simmer for about 2 minutes until slightly thickened and remove from heat. Stir in caramel and vanilla, until caramel is dissolved.
- Place cream mixture into the refrigerator until cold or into the freeze for 1-1 1/2 hours until cold. (If using the freezer watch carefully not to freeze.)
- If caramel is too cold to drizzle soften caramel sauce in a pan over low heat until caramel sauce forms a thick drizzle.
- Place cold cream mixture into an ice cream maker. Follow manufacturers instructions and process for 20 minutes until thickened like soft serve.
- Fold remaining caramel sauce into the ice cream by hand for caramel swirl.
- Place ice cream into a freezer safe container and freeze for a minimum of 2 hours and for a harder ice cream 5 hours.
- Scoop and enjoy!