I wanted to share a picture update of one of our favorite soups this time of year: Sausage, Kale and Potato Soup. The weather in Washington turned rather crummy this last week and Zuppa Toscana was the perfect soup to warm our souls for a quick dinner.
I'm hoping to be back later tonight with a delicious Focaccia recipe but for now I leave you with one of our favorite soups!
I'm sure you'll enjoy it as much as we do!
Sausage, Kale And Potato Soup aka Zuppa Toscana. I know you all know what I'm talking about, that soup from Olive Garden you always order for lunch. Yep, that's the one.
The kids and husband voted for this soup over the one Olive Garden makes but they could be a bit bias so you'll have to taste it for yourself.
We had a nasty little bug pass through our house last week and there's nothing like a big bowl of homemade brothy soup. I had already made chicken noodle soup a few weeks ago and I wasn't in the mood to run to the grocery store. I just happened to have everything on hand to make this and it's super easy and fairly quick. (I consider anything under 30 minutes fairly quick so you can judge for yourself.) Pair this with some Easy Cheesy Garlic And Herb Breadsticks and you have one heck of a meal!
If you are really looking to replicate the soup exactly I would use Curly Endive aka Chicory for the greens. I just happened to have Kale on hand, a sick kid and needed some soup for dinner. The Kale really was delicious in the soup and is a bit easier to find if you are trying to eat more organic produce.
L.J. was starting to feel better at day 3 and finally moved to the couch, along with the dog who isn't allowed on the couch but somehow was invited up. L.J.'s explanation and theory was Buddy's on the blanket so that makes it ok. What can I say I'm a sucker for a sick kid with a fever and a dog with sad eyes.
In a large stock pot add olive oil and diced bacon. Saute over medium-high heat until bacon starts to brown.
Add onion and saute until starting to caramelize.
Add sausage, garlic, red pepper flakes, oregano and rosemary. Break sausage into small pieces and cook until starting to brown.
Add chicken stock and water. Scrape all the tasty brown bits off the bottom.
Add sliced potato to the soup. Bring to a simmer. Turn heat to low and cook until potatoes are tender about 15 minutes.
Add chopped kale and stir well. Simmer about 3 more minutes or until kale is crisp yet tender.
Remove soup from heat and stir in cream and milk.
Serve with fresh cracked pepper and parmesan cheese.
Sausage Kale and Potato Soup
Cook time: PT30M
Total time: PT35M
Yield: Serves 6
- 1 teaspoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 slices Bacon, Diced Fine
- 1 whole Onion, Medium Sized Diced Fine
- 1 1/4 pounds Sweet Italian Sausage
- 3 cloves Garlic, Minced
- 3/4 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes, Or To Taste
- 1 teaspoon Oregano, Dried
- 1 teaspoon Rosemary, Dried
- 6 cups Chicken Stock
- 4 cups Water
- 4 whole Russet Potatoes, Medium Sized, Sliced 1/4" Thick With Skin
- 1 bunch Kale or Chicory (Large, Stems Removed And Chopped)
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream or Half and Half
- 1/2 cup Milk or Half and Half
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese, Grated
- In a large stock pot add olive oil and bacon. Saute over medium-high heat until bacon starts to brown.
- Add onion and saute until onion starts to caramelize.
- Add sausage, garlic, red pepper flakes, oregano and rosemary. Break sausage into small pieces and cook until sausage starts to brown.
- Add all of the chicken stock, water, and potatoes. Cook until potatoes are tender when poked with fork about 15-20 minutes.
- At this point you can taste soup and add sea salt if needed and pepper to taste. Mine didn't require any salt but it will depend on your chicken broth.
- Add chopped kale and gently stir until well combined. Cook about 3 minutes or until kale is crisp yet tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in cream and milk.
- Serve immediately with fresh grated parmesan and cracked black pepper.