The weathers been cold, wet and windy in Washington the last few weeks..
My cold bones have been aching for warming comfort foods.
I made Chipotle Ham and Bean Soup in the Crock Pot before heading to church Sunday morning. I needed something easy and worry free.. I knew we had a large windstorm on the way, I am just thankful we didn't lose power.
There's nothing I love more then a satisfying soup at the end of a cold, wet and windy day, other then maybe a hot bath and a slice of apple pie.
If I can have all 3 I am one happy Momma!
Crock Pot Chipotle Ham and Bean Soup is a great use for leftover ham from the holidays but also an inexpensive soup made with a good quality smoked ham hock.
I tried to keep this recipe simple and inexpensive because I understand so many families are on tight budgets but love flavorful and filling recipes.
The chipotle pepper adds a little heat and extra smokiness to the soup.
I freeze the extra chipotle peppers and adobo sauce individually in small plastic bags for later, since I seldom use more then 1 or 2 peppers at a time.
A few more favorite chipotle dishes are Chipotle Chicken Sweet Potato Pumpkin Ale Chili and Chipotle Black Beans. Incase you need a few ideas on what to make with your left over chipotle peppers. Both are delicious and healthy meals.
Soak dried beans overnight.
This soup is so easy and the flavors are amazing. Place all ingredients in the Crock Pot and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until beans are cooked and tender. Once beans are cooked until tender add salt to taste if needed. Serve with French Bread Dinner Rolls or Cornbread if desired.
Crock Pot Chipotle Ham And Bean Soup
Crock Pot Chipotle Ham And Bean Soup. A flavorful, inexpensive and easy Crock Pot soup.Prep time: PT10M
Cook time: PT8H
Total time: PT8H10M
Yield: 6 Servings
- 1 pound Dry Great Northern or Small White Beans, Soaked Overnight
- 3 Pound Smoked Ham Hock Or Smoked Ham On Bone
- 4 stalks Celery, Chopped
- 5 whole Large Carrots, Chopped
- 1 whole Chipotle Pepper In Adobo Sauce, Chopped
- 1 tablespoon Adobo Sauce From Chipotle Pepper
- 1 whole Medium Onion, Chopped
- 5 cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1 teaspoon Thyme
- 1 teaspoon Rosemary
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 2 cups Chicken Broth
- 4 cups Water
- Salt and Pepper To Taste.
- Add soaked beans, ham, celery, carrots, chipotle Pepper, adobo sauce, onion, garlic, rosemary, garlic powder, chicken broth and water to Crock Pot.
- Cook soup for 6 hours on Hi or 8-10 hours on low or until beans are tender.
- Taste soup. Salt if needed and pepper to taste.