Posted by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch / Sunday, May 25, 2014
Strawberry Rhubarb Coffee Cake
One of my favorite things about this time of year is the abundance of Strawberries and Rhubarb. This Strawberry Rhubarb Coffee Cake is the perfect beginning or end to any day.
One of the first food related things I learned about Colt years ago was he loves rhubarb so I quickly learned how to make rhubarb pie and crisp to keep him content.
This Strawberry Rhubarb Coffee Cake is no exception to his favorites list with it's light and moist layer of cake filled with sweet and tangy strawberry rhubarb filling then topped with a layer of brown sugar cinnamon crumb topping for the perfect balance of flavors.
What's not to love?
I might have enjoyed a slice for breakfast and dessert on a day or two because I couldn't think of a better beginning or ending to the day.
In a medium sized saucepan stir together 3 cups Rhubarb, 2 cups Strawberries, 1/2 cup Sugar, 1/3 cup Cornstarch and 2 tablespoon Water.
Stir together until well combined.
Cook over medium heat while stirring for about 5 minutes until cornstarch starts to cook and thicken but rhubarb is still firm.
Set aside to cool.
In a large bowl combine 1 1/3 cups Brown Sugar, 2 tablespoons Flour and 1 teaspoon Cinnamon, mix until combined.
Cut 4 tablespoons of cold butter into chunks and mix on low speed until well combined.
Alternatively you could use your fingers and work the butter into the sugar mixture until evenly combined and crumbly.
Brown sugar mixture should stick together when squeezed with fingers. Move to a medium sized bowl and set aside.
In a large mixing bowl cream 3/4 cup cold Butter. Slowly add 1 1/2 cups Granulated Sugar while mixing on medium speed.
(The cold butter helps add volume to the batter and holds it's texture better making for a lighter cake.)
Scrape sides of bowl and add 4 eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition. Scrape sides of bowl between each addition.
Then add 2 teaspoons Vanilla.
Batter should be looking light and fluffy at this point.
Add 1 1/2 teaspoon teaspoon Baking Soda, 1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder and 1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt. Mix until well combined and scrape bowl well to evenly distribute.
Add 3 cups All- Purpose or Whole Wheat Pastry Flour 1 cup at a time alternating with 1 1/2 cups Sour Cream (1/2 cup at a time.)
Mix on low speed between each addition until just combined, being careful not to over mix.
Oh my gosh isn't that gorgeous batter!
I like to butter a 9"x13" pan and line with parchment paper. Butter parchment paper well.
(If parchment paper isn't available you can butter pan well.)
Spread half of cake batter over the bottom of the cake pan.
Spread all of the strawberry rhubarb mixture over the batter.
Spread remaining cake batter evenly over the top.
Take Brown Sugar Crumb and squeeze between fingers to make crumbs, spread evenly over the top of cake..
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean.
Cool completely and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
The perfect slice of cake for any occasion with it's gorgeous pink Strawberry Rhubarb filling and warm brown sugar crumb topping.
Strawberry Rhubarb Coffee Cake
Recipe by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
Classic Coffee Cake made extraordinary with a layer of strawberry rhubarb filling and a brown sugar cinnamon crumb topping. Perfect for brunch or dessert.Prep time: PT20M
Cook time: PT50M
Total time: PT1H10M
Yield: 16 Servings
- 3 cups Rhubarb Sliced 1/4" Thick
- 2 cups Strawberries, Diced
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/3 cup Cornstarch
- 1 1/3 cup Brown Sugar
- 2 tablespoons All-Purpose or Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons Cold Butter, Diced
- 3/4 cup Cold Butter
- 1 1/2 cups Granulated Sugar
- 4 whole Eggs
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 3 cups All-Purpose Flour Or Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1 1/2 cups Sour Cream
- Powdered Sugar For Dusting
- Butter a 9"x13" pan and line with parchment paper. Butter parchment paper well and set aside.
- In a medium sized saucepan add rhubarb, strawberries, 2 tablespoons Water, granulated sugar and cornstarch. Mix until well combined. Heat over medium heat and stir for about 5 minutes or until cornstarch starts to thicken but rhubarb is still firm. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl combined brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour and cinnamon. Mix until well combined. Add 4 tablespoons cold butter diced and mix on low speed until well combined and crumbly. Remove to a medium sized bowl and set aside.
- Add 3/4 cup cold butter to mixing bowl and beat until smooth and creamy. Slowly add sugar while beating at medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time beating well between each addition. Scrape sides of bowl between each egg. Then add vanilla and mix well.
- Batter should look light and fluffy.
- Add baking soda, baking powder and sea salt. Beat on medium-high speed until well combined. Scrape sides of bowl.
- Add flour 1 cup at a time alternating with 1/2 cup sour cream mixing on low speed until just combined being careful not to over mix and all of flour and sour cream is added.
- Spread half of the cake batter into the bottom of prepared pan and spread to the edge.
- Cover evenly with strawberry rhubarb filling and spread to the edge.
- Spread with remaining cake batter and spread evenly.
- Press brown sugar crumb topping between fingers to form crumbs and distribute evenly over the top of the cake.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of cake comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool completely.
- Dust with powdered sugar before serving.