A favorite fall chowder loaded with cheddar cheese, bacon, corn and potatoes. A very hearty and filling soup.
It's been on the I need make recipes for the blog list but it's just been too hot and the weather's been far too nice to heat up the house so the corn kept going out to the grill and I've been waiting for a drop in temperature.
This barely ever happens in Washington just for the record, we almost always have a few cool days even in August.
So yesterday the temperature all of a sudden dropped to the mid 60's from the mid 80's the day before and I knew my craving for Cheddar Bacon Corn and Potato Chowder was going to be fixed.
I instantly felt the need for all things soups, stew, apples, pumpkin, sweaters and boots, it hit me like a ton of bricks.
I don't know if it's my bodies way of preparing me for the next few months of rain and gloom or it's just some crazy subliminal thing that happens.
This soup has everything that makes me love the fall with it's cheddary, velvety texture, smokey baconliciousness (I know it's not a word, spell checks yelling at me this very moment but I like the sound baconliciousness), tons of locally grown fresh corn and creamy potatoes.
It's everything in a bowl of chowder I need!
To make the soup you need to fry 4 slices of chopped bacon until crispy. Remove bacon to a paper towel and set aside.
Add 1 chopped medium sized Onion, 3 stalks Diced Celery and 2 Diced Carrots to Bacon Grease.
Saute until onion is softened and add 1/4 cup Flour. Mix until well combined over medium heat.
Slowly stir in 7 cups of Chicken Broth.
Remove kernels from 3 ears of Corn and set kernels aside.
Add Corn Cobs, 4 whole Diced Peeled Potatoes, 1 whole Diced Red Pepper, 1 teaspoon Thymes, 1/2 teaspoon Granulated Garlic, 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt and Pepper or to taste.
Cover and bring to a simmer.
Cook for 20-30 minutes until potatoes are tender.
Add corn kernels, 3 sliced green onions and 2 cups Cheddar Cheese.
Cook until cheese is melted and corn is heated through and tender, about 1-2 minutes.
Definitely one of my favorite fall soups!
Serve with Bacon Bits and additional sliced Green Onions.
If your a fan of cheesy bacony soups I strongly suggest you give this a try some time!
Cheddar Bacon Corn and Potato Chowder
A favorite fall soup loaded with cheddar cheese, bacon, corn and potatoes. Cheddar Bacon Corn and Potato Chowder is very filling and easy to make.Prep time: PT10M
Cook time: PT25M
Total time: PT35M
Yield: 5 Servings
Calories per serving: 552Ingredients
Fat per serving: 18
Fat per serving: 18
- 4 slices Bacon, Diced
- 1 whole Medium Sized Onion, Diced
- 3 stalks Celery, Diced
- 2 whole Carrots, Diced
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 7 cups Chicken Stock, Good Quality
- 3 whole Ears Corn On The Cob, Shucked
- 4 whole Potatoes, Peeled and Diced
- 1 whole Red Bell Pepper, Seeds Removed and Diced
- 1 teaspoon Thyme, Dried
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- 3 whole Green Onions, Sliced
- 2 cups Cheddar Cheese, Grated
- Additional Sliced Green Onion For Serving
- In a large stock pot brown bacon until crispy. Remove bacon bits to a paper towel to drain and reserve bacon grease.
- Add onion, celery and carrots to bacon grease and cook until onion is softened over medium-high heat.
- Add flour and stir until well combined for 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly stir in chicken stock.
- Remove kernels from corn cobs and set kernels aside.
- Stir in corn cobs, potatoes, red bell pepper, thyme, salt and black pepper bring to a simmer and cover. Cook for 20-30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in corn kernels, grated cheese and green onions. Cook until cheese is melted and corn is heated through and desired tenderness.
- Serve with bacon bits and additional scallions.