Posted by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch / Monday, November 24, 2014
Key Lime Pie
Classic Key Lime Pie is easy to make and elegant. A must have for any occasion.
When I was growing up Granny would always make Key Lime Pie along with about 8 different flavors for the holidays.
She was the ultimate pie goddess and her Key Lime Pie just happened to be my favorite.
If I spent the holidays with my Mom she would usually save me a couple slices in the fridge for when I came home.
I may or may not have been a little spoiled by her growing up.
I now make a Key Lime Pie for my
self family every holiday in her memory.
Sadly this pie was demolished in about 2.2 seconds between the 5 of us so I'm looking forward to another slice at Thanksgiving.
Granny would always add a few drops of green food coloring which I choose to omit for the natural color of the limes but if you prefer a green tint to your pie feel free to add a few drops until you achieve your desired color.
In a large bowl combine 12 whole graham cracker crumbs and 1/4 cup sugar. Mix until well blended.
Press graham cracker mixture evenly across the bottom and up the sides of the pie plate.
I find a measuring cup works well for pressing the crumbs evenly into the bottom and sides.
Mix together 4 whole Egg Yolks and 1 teaspoon Lime Zest until well combined.
I prefer mixing the zest into the egg yolk first to allow the natural flavor of the zest to be permeate the pie.
Add 14 ounces Sweetened Condensed Milk and mix until well blended.
Add 1/2 cup Freshly Squeezed Lime Juice and stir until well combined.
The key lime pie filling should smell amazing at this point.
Pour Key Lime Filling into Baked Graham Cracker Crust and bake in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes until set around the edge.
Allow pie to cool completely and refrigerate until cold.
Serve with a large amount of Homemade Sweetened Whip Cream and let your eye's roll back in your head with every bite!
Key Lime Pie
Recipe by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
Classic Key Lime Pie is easy to make and elegant. A must have for any occasion.Prep time: PT15M
Cook time: PT15M
Total time: PT30M
Yield: 10 Servings
- 12 Whole Graham Crackers, Crushed
- 1/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup Butter, Melted
- 4 whole Egg Yolks
- 1 teaspoon Lime Zest
- 14 ounces Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1/2 cup Lime Juice, Freshly Squeezed and Seeds Removed
- Lightly Sweetened Whipped Cream For Serving
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl add graham cracker crumbs and 1/4 cup sugar, mix until well combined. Drizzle in melted butter and mix well. Press graham cracker mixture evenly into the bottom of a 9 inch pie plate. Bake for 7 minutes or until light brown. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together egg yolks and zest until well combined.
- Add sweetened condensed milk and mix until well blended.
- Stir in lime juice until well combined.
- Pour into graham cracker crust and bake for 15 minutes until set around the edges.
- Allow to cool completely and then refrigerate until cold.
- Serve with lightly sweetened whipped cream.