This weeks Sunday Supper theme is Spring Fling to celebrate all the amazing foods of spring.
One of my favorite ingredients in the spring time is lemon so I thought this is the perfect time to share my recipe for Lemon Meringue Pie with a weep free meringue.
There's nothing worse then a layer of liquid covering your gorgeous lemon filling the next day when you go to slice your pie from the meringue weeping.
Something about the creamy lemon filling covered with light billowy meringue in a flaky crust that just screams spring to me.
It's an elegant dessert with just a bit of effort.
Our winter was rather mild this year and I think we might have had only had 1 snow day that was more of a light dusting but I'm still totally ready for the warmer weather of spring.
Luckily it's come a bit earlier this year in the gorgeous Pacific Northwest and the tulips have made an early appearance in the fields and I've been loving every minute of it.
I'm ready for the warmer weather to bust out my favorite spring dresses, sit out on the patio with the sun shining on my shoulders while I enjoy Sunday Supper and a big slice of this Lemon Meringue Pie while the kids throw the football in the yard.
Life doesn't get much better then in those moments!
Shall we get on to the recipe?
First off you'll need a single shell baked pie crust.
My favorite Pie Crust recipes are Flaky Pie Crust, this Sour Cream Pie Crust or Gluten Free Pie Crust for all my GF friends.
Line a 9" pie plate with dough.
Flute edges of dough and crust all over with a fork to prevent bubbles.
Line with heavy duty aluminum foil being careful not to cover the edges.
Bake in a 450 degree oven for 10 minutes until crust is set and no longer doughy.
Remove foil and bake an additional 6-10 minutes until lightly browned.
Remove from oven and allow to cool while making the filling.
To make the Lemon Filling: In a medium sized saucepan stir together 1 1/3 cup Granulated Sugar and 1/3 cup cornstarch.
Slowly stir in 2/3 cup Milk, 1/2 cup Water and 2/3 cup Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice to prevent lumps.
Add 1 tablespoon Lemon Zest and cook over medium-high heat until mixture comes to a boil and starts to thicken.
In a small bowl whisk together 5 whole Egg Yolks.
Slowly whisk in cooked lemon mixture 1/4 cup at a time until 1 cup of mixture has been added.
Add egg yolk mixture back into lemon mixture and return to simmer. Cook for an additional 1-2 minutes until thickened.
Remove from heat and stir in 2 tablespoons Butter and 1/2 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract.
Pour lemon mixture into baked pie crust.
To make a weep free/oozing free Meringue topping: Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
(Sorry I'm missing the pictures from the cornstarch mixture I don't know what happened there.)
In a small saucepan add 1 tablespoon Cornstarch and 1 tablespoon Sugar, mix until well combined.
Slowly stir in 1/3 cup Water to form a thick mixture.
Cook over medium heat and bring to a boil.
Cook for 20 seconds once boiling. Set aside and allow mixture to cool.
Beat together 5 whole Egg Whites, 1 teaspoon Vanilla and 1/4 teaspoon Cream Of Tartar until soft peaks form.
While beating add 1/2 cup Sugar until stiff peaks form and mixture is glossy.
Slowly mix in 1 heaping tablespoon at a time of the cooked cornstarch mixture on low speed until well incorporated.
Mixture should hold stiff peaks when finished.
Cover lemon filling with meringue and make sure to anchor meringue into edge of pie crust to prevent shrinking. Use the back of a spoon to form peaks all across meringue.
Bake in a 325 degree preheated oven for 18-25 minutes until lightly brown on top.
Try to control the urge to slam your face into it until it's cooled completely or is that just me with those issues.
Once cooled slice and serve or I like to chill my Lemon Meringue Pie for about 6 hours before serving to allow the lemon to intensify and meld.
A gorgeous elegant pie perfect for any occasion!
Share, don't share that's totally up to you!
I won't judge!
Make sure to come check out all the other #SundaySupper Spring Fling Recipes in the links under the recipe!
Lemon Meringue Pie
Tangy, creamy Lemon Meringue Pie from scratch with a recipe for a weep free meringue with easy to follow step by step instructions.Prep time: PT30M
Cook time: PT20M
Total time: PT3H50M
Yield: 10 Servings
- 1 Baked Pie Crust
- 1 1/3 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/3 cup Cornstarch
- 2/3 cup Milk
- 1/2 cup Water
- 2/3 cup Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Zest
- 5 whole Egg Yolks, Whisk Together
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 1/3 cup Water
- 5 whole Egg Whites
- 1/4 teaspoon Cream Of Tartar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a medium sized saucepan combine 1 1/3 cup sugar and 1/3 cup cornstarch until well combined. Slowly stir in milk, lemon juice and 1/2 cup water to prevent lumps. Add lemon zest and bring to a boil. Stir while cooking until mixture starts to thicken.
- Whisk 1/4 cup at a time of lemon mixture into egg yolks until 1 cup of lemon mixture has been added. Add egg yolk mixture back into lemon mixture. Stir while returning to a boil. Cook an additional 1-2 minutes until mixture is thickened. Remove from heat and whisk in butter and vanilla.
- Pour mixture into baked pie crust and set aside.
- To make Meringue: In a small saucepan combine 1 tablespoon cornstarch and 1 tablespoon sugar until well combined. Slowly pour in 1/3 cup water to prevent lumps. Cook over medium heat and bring to a boil. Cook for 20 seconds once boiling. Remove from heat to cool.
- Beat egg whites, cream of tartar and vanilla together until soft peaks form.
- Slowly add 1/2 cup sugar while beating. Beat until stiff peaks form and mixture becomes glossy.
- On low speed mix in 1 tablespoon of cooked cornstarch mixture at a time until all cornstarch mixture is incorporated. Mix until well combined.
- Mound meringue mixture over pie and anchor into the edge of pie crust to prevent shrinking. Use the back of spoon to form small peaks all over pie.
- Bake in preheated oven for 18-25 minutes until lightly brown on top.
- Cool pie completely before slicing or refrigerate for 6 hours or until cold for best flavor before slicing.
- Easter Egg Smoothie by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Home-made Limoncello by Manu's Menu
- Meyer Lemon Rosemary Martini by The Redhead Baker
- Asparagus and Roasted Garlic Hummus by Palatable Pastime
- Baked Lemon and Goat Cheese Dip by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Cauliflower Salad by Wallflour Girl
- Green Asparagus Soup with Seared Scallops by An Appealing Plan
- Panzanella Primavera by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Salmon Berry and Almond Salad with Lemon Honey Dressing by Family Foodie
- Skillet Spinach Artichoke Dip by Life Tastes Good
- Asparagus Gribiche by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Early Peas with Pearl Onions in Cream by Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Roasted Asparagus with Balsamic Mustard Vinaigrette by Food Done Light
- Sauteed Artichokes & Potatoes by Carrie's Experimental Kitchen
- Spring Green Rice by Magnolia Days
- Artichoke Pesto Pasta by PancakeWarriors
- Crispy Honey Chicken Spring Salad by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Early Spring Risotto by Cooking Chat
- Honey Lemon Shrimp by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Irish Lamb Stew by Food Lust People Love
- Perfect Scrambled Eggs with Asparagus, Goat Cheese and Chives by Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen
- Quiche Florentine by Curious Cuisiniere
- Roasted Lamb Chops, Fontina Cheese Polenta with Asparagus and Mushrooms by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Root Vegetable Risotto by Momma's Meals
- Spring Lemon Pasta by MealDiva
- Spring Pea & Chèvre Souffle by FoodieTots
- Spring Vegetable Risotto by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Salmon and Strawberry Spinach Salad with a Kentucky Maple Vinaigrette by Dandelion Greens
- Tilapia with Classic Pesto by Whole Food | Real Families
- Veal Stew with Spring Greens by The Texan New Yorker
- Berry Shortcakes by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Blueberry Coconut Macaroons by Pies and Plots
- Blueberry Rhubarb Muffins by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Carrot Cake Cookies by Noshing With The Nolands
- Carrot Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Icing by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Gluten Free Healthy Hummingbird Cake by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Lemon Cream Pie with Girl Scouts Lemonade Cookie Crust by Our Good Life
- Lemon Meringue Pie by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Low-Fat Strawberry Muffins by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Matcha Strawberry Cake by Brunch with Joy
- Palm Sunday Easter Bread by Love and Confections
- Pretzels, Peanut Butter, and Beer Cake Recipe by Recipe for Perfection
- Sticky Carrot Squares by What Smells So Good?
- Three Berry Coconut Crispies by Simply Healthy Family